0 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

TnA Toby, to custom or not to custom?

13 Replies, 14182 Views

Ok, so this one will be a poll. As you may know, I love the Talk n Action Trains. And as mentioned in another thread I recently picked up a TnA Toby who looks like he fell into the ocean and was in a tussle with a shark or something. Lol. So... I was really thinking of trying to restore him, but after inspecting a bit more, I am not sure it is feasible. For starters I was thinking of trying to convert the non motorized regular Henrietta into a fit for the TnA one, but that may be a bit tough. Also the top of Toby will need touched up. In addition he needs some work on the axel gear, battery terminals and the connector in gone.

The other thought was to maybe make a custom. Basically using either a Percy mail coach or a Annie from the TnA Thomas. The other thing that may work really is any thing with 3 batteries and a switch. Which got me wondering, is there something in the Thomas series that Toby pulls other than Henrietta? Also is there any time where Toby is a different color? Maybe paint covered etc..

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. And here are a couple pics..
[Image: E2F50165-9BE2-477F-8912-BFBC336B43F4_zpswm9aiwuq.jpg]
[Image: 542CC638-DE71-4452-9D53-715B9BA6C1ED_zps77ylw2ql.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ROKMAN1445, Super
It needs some love Ripley. You are the only man fro the job.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
[-] The following 2 users Like ROKMAN1445's post:
  • ripley802, Super
(06-02-2016, 11:45 PM)ripley802 Wrote: Ok, so this one will be a poll. As you may know, I love the Talk n Action Trains. And as mentioned in another thread I recently picked up a TnA Toby who looks like he fell into the ocean and was in a tussle with a shark or something. Lol. So... I was really thinking of trying to restore him, but after inspecting a bit more, I am not sure it is feasible. For starters I was thinking of trying to convert the non motorized regular Henrietta into a fit for the TnA one, but that may be a bit tough. Also the top of Toby will need touched up. In addition he needs some work on the axel gear, battery terminals and the connector in gone.

The other thought was to maybe make a custom. Basically using either a Percy mail coach or a Annie from the TnA Thomas. The other thing that may work really is any thing with 3 batteries and a switch. Which got me wondering, is there something in the Thomas series that Toby pulls other than Henrietta? Also is there any time where Toby is a different color? Maybe paint covered etc..

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. And here are a couple pics..
Eeesh....is Henrietta's end blown out?!?....maybe a re-paint on the roof, if Toby's face is intact, but still would need #7 stickers:/ Idk, tough call...if you could find a different coach to replace Henrietta that would be pretty cool too...or you could do a T'nA Snow Covered X-mas Toby!?!?Smile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016, 08:49 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • ripley802, Super
Can you just replace toby's shell with a standard one? That way you could have a new shell and keep the t&a one original, bearing in mind the rarity of the item.

Similarly, do you get a henrietta in the normal set? If so can you use that shell?

Failling that how about a 3D printed shell for Hen?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016, 07:56 AM by Nigels.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
(06-03-2016, 05:44 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: Eeesh....is Henrietta's end blown out?!?....maybe a re-paint on the roof, if Toby's face is intact, but still would need #7 stickers:/ Idk, tough call...if you could find a different coach to replace Henrietta that would be pretty cool too...or you could do a T'nA Snow Covered X-mas Toby!?!?Smile

Yep, the whole front of Henrietta is snapped off. Undecided. I did not even catch h missing stickers, but they may be easy to get from a regular Toby?

I like the Snow covered idea though, that may be a good option. Thanks.

(06-03-2016, 07:54 AM)Nigels Wrote: Can you just replace toby's shell with a standard one? That way you could have a new shell and keep the t&a one original, bearing in mind the rarity of the item.

Similarly, do you get a henrietta in the normal set? If so can you use that shell?

Failling that how about a 3D printed shell for Hen?

I am still looking into if it is do-able to replace the shell. Basically there are 3 parts to the shell. The two bald end pieces and the main shell piece, which is the part broken. The piece missing from it has the threaded piece to hold it down on th chassis. Also the Main shell piece for the TnA vs the regular Henrietta is different, where the stand alone one has a post in the center. I will try and get some pics of what I am talking about.

3D printed could be an option, but not sure on if it would be a very expensive solution? I have one TnA Toby already so this one would just be a backup or maybe to sell.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016, 08:54 AM by ripley802.)
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Nigels, Super
Restore him! Where will you ever find something like that again (or at least an affordable, good condition one)?

(06-02-2016, 11:45 PM)ripley802 Wrote: is there something in the Thomas series that Toby pulls other than Henrietta? Also is there any time where Toby is a different color? Maybe paint covered etc..

1) In "The Green Controller", he pulled the express (due to one of Percy's misinterpretations of the orders Lady Hatt told him to give the engines when the Fat Controller "lost his voice"). I believe he has also been seen with quarry trucks, troublesome or not. That first one I mentioned is the only one I remember.

2) In The Railway Series, Toby's sideplates were repainted blue after the events of "Dirty Objects". If you wish to make a Railway Series Toby, the roof should be repainted black in addition to the blue sideplates.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Ucwepn
Didn't realise you'd got two, how about just changing the roof from an ordinary one onto the t&a toby? Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(06-03-2016, 09:12 AM)DalaGStanator Wrote: Restore him! Where will you ever find something like that again (or at least an affordable, good condition one)?

1) In "The Green Controller", he pulled the express (due to one of Percy's misinterpretations of the orders Lady Hatt told him to give the engines when the Fat Controller "lost his voice"). I believe he has also been seen with quarry trucks, troublesome or not. That first one I mentioned is the only one I remember.

2) In The Railway Series, Toby's sideplates were repainted blue after the events of "Dirty Objects". If you wish to make a Railway Series Toby, the roof should be repainted black in addition to the blue sideplates.

Thanks for the input. Do you have any images of what he looked like in that series or was it only the black roof?

I will make every effort to restore, but if it turns out not to work, then the custom may have to do.

(06-03-2016, 09:13 AM)Nigels Wrote: Didn't realise you'd got two, how about just changing the roof from an ordinary one onto the t&a toby? Smile

Oh yeah. I found the TnA Toby, D10, and James in a lot awhile back. Actually they were the first TnA trains I had. After that I was hooked. And believe it or not, I found them on eBay here in the US.

Swapping the roof for Toby or maybe even the entire she'll may work but the TnA have a custom or different attaching method I believe. Will have to do a bit more research but that may work too. Painting the roof would not be too bad either, matching the color may be though.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2016, 10:04 AM by ripley802.)
(06-03-2016, 10:01 AM)ripley802 Wrote: Do you have any images of what he looked like in that series or was it only the black roof?

[Image: 640?cb=20141216001526]

[Image: 640?cb=20140109024635]

(both from the TTTE Wikia ["Toby" article]).
Is this a flip face? If not then I say to go for a total mod, defaced into something new. Like if Toby won a trip to a makeover show. His new name could be Woody.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]