Blue Plastic Tracks
Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) (/thread-1869.html)

Pages: 1 2

Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - Miksolo - 06-22-2016

If I tell Mom, she won't be happy at all. :/

Well, it's been about a day and a half since the Thomas & Friends Plarail Pounding Mountain Set arrived in the mail and I hope to God I didn't wreck the box too much, and that Mom will be away from home in the next few days. I'm really hoping I can find out whether or not I can return this set, as the 85 dollars my grandmother spent on it was not worth what I got as opposed to what I was expecting. I mean, I at least hoped this would be applicable to other layouts than what I'm given, but the curved tunnel is too sharp to put straights through, and tracks going through the tunnel and the spiral track in one lane won't meet if the female end of the mountain doesn't have 3/2 straight track behind it followed by a turn and another 3/2 straights, and then curve tracks all the way until you come out of the other end of the tunnel. I am happy that long trains work because of the many side-barriers that double as shrubbery, and the sliding teeth at the bottom of the mountain that catch the activation tab on the bottom of engines to slow them down, but that's the only redeeming quality other than the mountain itself, which I believe should only be reason enough to buy a set if it works well with other sets.
Anyway, end of my rant.

If any of you guys have this set or have seen layouts with it, could you give some suggestions on how to incorporate it into a massive layout? I was hoping to somehow put it on the layout plan I have right now, but the only way I can think of doing it now that I've discovered the tunnel's major flaw would literally be out of sight and a waste of track.

If not, I guess I will have to accept the fact that sometimes life is unfair and whatever you waste on something that ends up not worth it, you just won't get it back, and the only thing you can do is hope and try your best to make better decisions and have better luck in future.
Doesn't mean I'm any less ticked off.

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - ripley802 - 06-22-2016

I do not have this one, but since seeing it have always thought of getting it. Hopefully someone has some suggestions for you on incorporating this into a layout. From the looks it seems like it would be a very cool set to have.

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - Miksolo - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 01:04 AM)ripley802 Wrote: I do not have this one, but since seeing it have always thought of getting it. Hopefully someone has some suggestions for you on incorporating this into a layout. From the looks it seems like it would be a very cool set to have.

If you can find it for a decent price, I'd suggest getting the older version of it, which I believe was called Rollercoaster Mountain. Instead of a sticker at the top with Harold and Sir Topham Hatt (I am so grateful that the stickers are applied manually and not already on the mountain), there is a nice little castle at the top. You can even still see the hole that the castle probably pegged into on this newer version.

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - Super - 06-22-2016

So if I got this straight, you bought a brand new Plarail Pounding Mountain Set and you are upset that you can't modify it into something the set is not designed for? I have seen many YouTube videos with this mountain and if I remember correctly not in the way intended but I may be confusing it with a Trackmaster one..

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - Miksolo - 06-22-2016

(06-22-2016, 01:29 AM)Super Wrote: So if I got this straight, you bought a brand new Plarail Pounding Mountain Set and you are upset that you can't modify it into something the set is not designed for? I have seen many YouTube videos with this mountain and if I remember correctly not in the way intended but I may be confusing it with a Trackmaster one..

Trackmaster doesn't have blue track... Although, at least from what I've seen, a lot of Trackmaster sets don't have good playability outside of themselves and easy compatibility with other sets. I've always had good experiences with Plarail, and I guess I'm just really salty that they've let me down for their first time. I'll say what I think, however, and I am very upset over not being able to use it in a larger layout. Mom won't be happy at all when she sees it on a shelf all the time, and the disappointment will only get worse after being screamed at and not being able to talk to my Mom for a whole night without causing her a headache.

Also, the picture you're showing is of the older version of the set. The newer version has a sticker instead of a castle, and a log truck instead of two troublesome trucks.

I've also forgotten to mention that the surprised face Thomas included in my set is a factory error. The printed decals on one side are off center, and on the other side, they're askew.

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - Super - 06-22-2016

I guess I don't understand why you can't incorporate into another layout. Just looking at the picture it looks to be easy.

(06-22-2016, 01:40 AM)Super Wrote: I guess I don't understand why you can't incorporate into another layout. Just looking at the picture it looks to be easy.

that's what I was thinking, too. After a bit more playing around, I just learned that I'm wrong about straights not fitting through, but in order to connect a track going through the tunnel with a track going up and down the mountain, you would need a lot of space, and a lot of curves. If you don't make it pretty much the exact same way as the picture presents, or wider, then it won't work.

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - sunhuntin - 06-22-2016

if you have risers, you can make a bridge between the top of the mountain and the long down hill slope. ive also seen a video using two of these that were connected somehow.

personally, i have two of these [im a sucker for the boxes and couldnt resist] but am yet to use either in an elaborate layout.

i may dig one out and use it on an upcoming open day at the club. my main gripe is the amount of battery power sucked climbing the grades.

(06-22-2016, 04:29 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: if you have risers, you can make a bridge between the top of the mountain and the long down hill slope. ive also seen a video using two of these that were connected somehow.

personally, i have two of these [im a sucker for the boxes and couldnt resist] but am yet to use either in an elaborate layout.

i may dig one out and use it on an upcoming open day at the club. my main gripe is the amount of battery power sucked climbing the grades.

I was going to make a bridge, and I plan to still do so in the future, when I get enough quarter-risers. The idea of combining two sounds cool, and would allow for the engines to go both ways through the mountain. I have a feeling that I'll find engines getting stuck trying to climb the steep slope on a layout due to a point set in the wrong direction..
I swear, a ghost or something always switches my points when I'm not looking!

RE: Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom) - sunhuntin - 06-22-2016

i dont think there were points involved in what i saw. the downhill from one led directly back to the uphill of the other. no where else the trains could go but up [and down]
just had a look on youtube and couldnt find that video, but i did see one from toytrains4u where he had 3 sets connected together, but didnt show the track configuration used.