Blue Plastic Tracks
D-51 First Try Set - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: D-51 First Try Set (/thread-4116.html)

Pages: 1 2

D-51 First Try Set - Super - 07-11-2020

D-51 First Try Set

For some reason I think we talked about this set before but I can't find it.

The YouTuber says this set was released in 2010. I would have thought there would be plenty around since its not that old but this is the first time I have seen this engine (I think). Its a nice little set with some out of the ordinary colored tracks, shed and bumpers but what really drew my eyes is the odd box art compared to whats inside.

[Image: s-l5w00.jpg]

[Image: Untitleggd.jpg]

RE: D-51 First Try Set - chrisjo - 07-11-2020

The First Try Sets were released 2001-2002, as follows:

First Try Set Blue ファーストトライセット きいろ (Yokosuka Line 113 srs. 2-car, p.172)
First Try Set Black ファーストトライセットくろ (D51-882, p.174)
First Try Set Dark Blue ファーストトライセットこん (EF-66 & black shiki car, p.174)
First Try Set White ファーストトライセットしろ (300 srs. Shinkansen 2-car, p.174)
First Try Set Red ファーストトライセットあか (DD51 & red container wagon, p.174)
First Try Set Green ファーストトライセットみどり (200 srs. Shinkansen 3-car, p.174)
First Try Set Yellow ファーストトライセット きいろ (Ise-Shima Liner 3-car, p.177)

The page numbers refer to your 2019 Plarail Super Picture Book Deluxe.

2001-02 Catalogue:
[Image: image.png]

Why the different style box for the 113 srs., the Nozomi, and the DD51? Maybe Vio can explain?

[Image: image.png]  [Image: image.png]  [Image: image.png] 

[Image: image.png] [Image: image.png]  [Image: image.png]  [Image: image.png]

RE: D-51 First Try Set - Super - 07-11-2020

[Image: forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Why do I always forget about looking in the Plarail Bible. DOH!

Thank you for all the research and answering my call Dr Chris. Since they don't seem to appear in the subsequent year Catalogs I have to assume that these were only available for in one year. Depending on which month they may have had only a limited run and possibly not that popular.

What I was referring to on the box was the engine...see the number?

If anyone has one of these D-51 First Try Sets or first hand knowledge of it a question: Are the tracks that come with it the light gray like the Plarail Elevated Rails or are they darker gray. I ask this because I have been fooled by video and pictures where I would swear the tracks were light gray but when I would buy them and get them home, they were the darker gray even though they looked light in pictures and video.

Besides the train itself I have always wanted a switch rail like this one for my all gray track collection but didn't think they ever made it in the lighter shade.

RE: D-51 First Try Set - Off The Rails - 07-11-2020

Those are neat little sets but the D51 is definitely on my want list.

RE: D-51 First Try Set - violater - 07-11-2020

The is D51 498, but the product is D51 882.
The 113, 300 Series and DD-51 are from a different series "でんしゃであそぼう", which is released in 2000 as seen from ST 0. (This is the backside of the DD-51 box)

[Image: tomy-old-train-requires-1-r14-old-toy-90...6f47c8.jpg]

The D-51 882, EF-66, Ise-Shima are from the "First Try Set" series.
As for the shades of grey, this kind of grey is exclusive to this set. However auctions in the past proves that this grey is not as valuable to other colours.
First Try Set Yellow is always the most expensive set among these.

There is also the 2002 My Home Town's Train Set (same vertical box dimensions), where you will find C-11 Hakodate and the purple coaches (I did the review here: https://youtu.be/wo8OFu4FSX0), and the red 813 Series. But the 813 Series has always been more than 8000 yen for new in box so that is much more valuable. There is also a hidden release in the same series known as the BTS Skytrain Vertical Box and Horizontal Box, only released in Thailand. Expect them both to go over 11000 yen for new in box, highest was 15500 yen.

[Image: 51-WI1a-HAMTL-AC-SX466.jpg][Image: 51e-Smvt19-DL-AC.jpg][Image: p686575446-1.jpg]

RE: D-51 First Try Set - Super - 07-12-2020

Thanks for the information Vio. I must have this 882, I like. It looks to be slightly different in some of the detailing that the usual Plarail D-51's specifically in the gold paint. Is this version hard to find now a days? I do find it odd that they would have a huge picture on the front of the box clearly showing a number that is not whats on the inside. This may have fooled me in the past into thinking I already had it and passed on auctions.

That C-11 set with purple coaches is one of my favorites along with the C-11 set with the dummy blue DE-10

RE: D-51 First Try Set - violater - 07-12-2020

This D51 is somewhat easy to find, it comes back to auctions quite frequently. The price range should be around 4000 yen or higher for new in box.

RE: D-51 First Try Set - Off The Rails - 07-12-2020

Vio, thanks for clarifying that since I always confuse the First Try and Home Town sets.

I really like D-51 882 and like Super, the C-11 Hakodate set is one of my all-time favorites. I certainly wouldn’t mind having that DD-51 and cargo container set either.

RE: D-51 First Try Set - PlarailTown - 07-14-2020

(07-11-2020, 04:22 PM)Vio Wrote:  There is also a hidden release in the same series known as the BTS Skytrain Vertical Box and Horizontal Box, only released in Thailand. Expect them both to go over 11000 yen for new in box, highest was 15500 yen.

Yes in 2004 the BTS Skytrain set was sold only for 400 Bhat (around 13 USD). Now the price has gone up very fast. For BTS Skytrain (second hand) can cost around 7000 Bhat (around 230 USD)!!!

RE: D-51 First Try Set - violater - 07-14-2020

230 USD? Both new in box BTS Skytrain didn't even go up to 15500 yen in Yahoo Auctions, where did you get the prices from?