Blue Plastic Tracks
List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? (/thread-4630.html)

List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - TrainMan2001 - 06-15-2021

Hey guys, I just bought this set (seller photo), and the description says that Thomas didn't work when a battery was put in, although, considering it looks so immaculate for being from the 90's (I think), I'm thinking I could probably fix it. However, it has been a while, and I don't remember a lot of the standard attempts at a fix, so I was wondering if you could help me? Thanks!
[Image: Screenshot-20210614-191830-e-Bay.jpg]

RE: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - leylandvictory2 - 06-15-2021

Is there a battery corrosion? If there is, it is hard to repair.  

pull the motor out of the chassis and use a screw driver and move the gears a bit.  Sometimes the grease and oil make the motor seize.  Thomas is widely available, I wouldn't bother repairing it. 

If you insists on repairing it, I would probably use Percy motor.  Some of the engines use the same type of motor..

RE: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - TrainMan2001 - 06-15-2021

I don't know if there's battery corrosion yet. I just bought it today.

RE: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - Super - 06-15-2021

There are really no 'List' of fixes but once you receive the engine and have a chance to look at it, I am sure our members can help you get him going with ideas of whats wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks Super!

RE: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - confusedanddelayed - 06-15-2021

If there is no corrosion that needs to be cleaned off, sometimes you just need to give the motor a nice thwack with the butt end of a screwdriver. Someone else could probably explain exactly why that works, but I like to think it scares the little conductors who reside in there.

RE: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - TheDiamondDalek - 06-15-2021

Honestly, there are many problems these trains can get, it can range from minor ones like a stuck gear in the motor that only needs a twist to get it going again, and there are serious ones like when the batteries leak in a talking engine and the corrosion destroys the circuit board, I should be able to help you fix some issues but you should look to the YouTuber 'Custom Trackmasters' if none of us can help

Thank you!

RE: List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains? - TrainMan2001 - 06-22-2021

Yeah, corrosion is the issue. However, there's no soldering involved, so I think I could bend up a new terminal from metal. I'd just need to buy a bit of metal from the hobby shop near me. Oh, and the corrosion isn't on the motor terminal, which hopefully will make it easier.