Blue Plastic Tracks
Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) (/thread-628.html)

Pages: 1 2

Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - ROCKINATOR - 01-04-2015

First one on my short listConfusedhould I 9V mod my gordon since I am buying a new one

Number2: was this variation of Tomy duck ever realeased?

.jpg   image.jpg (Size: 121.81 KB / Downloads: 93)

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - HankAmericanEngine - 01-04-2015

Howdy ROCKINATOR!

That Duck was the prototype variant, which was never released to the public but placed in the video for promotional purposes. As for your Gordon, I would say that's entirely up to you.

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - ROCKINATOR - 01-04-2015

What's the link to the video?

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - Super - 01-04-2015

I am not so sure you would want to bump up Gordon to 9 volts although Ucwepn may be able to shed more light on the idea. 9 volt may be too fast especially on a smaller layout with many curves. He may not hold on to the curves and fly off and if your mod Gordon is on an elevated table could spell disaster if he fly's to the floor. If its just a bump up in speed you are after maybe a boost to 3 volt (2 AA or AAA batteries) or 4.5 (3 AA or AAA Batteries). Another option would be to leave it as 1.5 volt and install a Power Dash motor or the like which would require less modification. All should give Gordon a good boost in speed. I thought Ucwepn had a 9 volt Gordon video but I can't seem to find it.

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - HankAmericanEngine - 01-04-2015

(01-04-2015, 07:01 PM)ROCKINATOR Wrote: What's the link to the video?

I don't have the link to the video that this prototype appears, but I have viewed it on occasion on YouTube. I'll post it here when I find the video.

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - TOMY_FAN - 01-04-2015

I found the video (TOMY - The Tomica World Show US DUB (Blue Tape) - Part 2) About 1 minute 50 seconds in

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - ROCKINATOR - 01-04-2015

(01-04-2015, 07:06 PM)Super Wrote: I am not so sure you would want to bump up Gordon to 9 volts although Ucwepn may be able to shed more light on the idea. 9 volt may be too fast especially on a smaller layout with many curves. He may not hold on to the curves and fly off and if your mod Gordon is on an elevated table could spell disaster if he fly's to the floor. If its just a bump up in speed you are after maybe a boost to 3 volt (2 AA or AAA batteries) or 4.5 (3 AA or AAA Batteries). Another option would be to leave it as 1.5 volt and install a Power Dash motor or the like which would require less modification. All should give Gordon a good boost in speed. I thought Ucwepn had a 9 volt Gordon video but I can't seem to find

That actually wasn't ucwepns mod, he did 4.5 V mod. I tested him out with 9V he runs fine on the layout as he has a broken or misplaced gear in his motor and I can't find out which one. And in turn slows him down JUST enough to make the turns ok. It isn't permament either, so I can run him at 1.5V at will or 9V. MIght try 10.5V but that might blow up the motor insanely quick. So I'm going to stick with 9V for now. And thanks Tomy fan!!!

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - Gerisplarail1 - 01-05-2015

What is different about the Duck in the video from the one Tomy actually released?

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - Ucwepn - 01-05-2015

Hi if the motor is in good order and not 25 years old and dry it should be fine on 9v. I personally would never run them on 9v as it always kills the loco eventually. By killing it it either burns out the wound armature in the motor or it strips and breaks gears from too fast/too much power. You should get a replacement drive unit for your Gordon as he is one of the rarer locos that not that many of were produced.

In the end it's your toy and you can do what you like Big Grin

RE: Questions that I need answered (by train pros) - HankAmericanEngine - 01-05-2015

(01-05-2015, 01:38 AM)Gerisplarail1 Wrote: What is different about the Duck in the video from the one Tomy actually released?

It's just the face molded onto the locomotive battery cover, Geris; it's one of Duck's different smiling faces.