Blue Plastic Tracks
thomas and friends mini series - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Toys/Other (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-37.html)
+--- Forum: Thomas & Friends Minis (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: thomas and friends mini series (/thread-791.html)

RE: thomas and friends mini series - OttawaQ - 09-23-2016

(09-22-2016, 09:25 PM)Pablo392 Wrote: Thanks, at first I thought it was a pre-made rack he bought, that looks really clean. I do have a dremel tool, but like you, I am not that good at carpentry. I can probably make a little ditch for rack to hold the trains, but I might end up splitting the wood, or causing uneven hole, and looking at my trains one sitting higher than the other, driving me nuts. Smile I was thinking of gluing a thin strip instead of making a cut.

Yeah, the one we have was pre-made, and I'm pretty sure you can get them from http://www.trainrackstore.com, but we got it on eBay used for much cheaper. I wish I was handy enough to make them.

Out of curiousity, has anyone in Canada found the Glow in the dark minis, or are the just available in the States?

RE: thomas and friends mini series - Pablo392 - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 03:39 AM)OttawaQ Wrote: Yeah, the one we have was pre-made, and I'm pretty sure you can get them from http://www.trainrackstore.com, but we got it on eBay used for much cheaper. I wish I was handy enough to make them.

Out of curiousity, has anyone in Canada found the Glow in the dark minis, or are the just available in the States?

Those look very simple. For Regular wooden thomas the tank engine trains, you can get a bag of straight tracks for about $20 and glue them on some strip of wood, then screw those to 1x2s. I suppose you would have to saw off the ends of some of the tracks to make them flat, but that would be an awesome weekend project.

However, it's not so easy with Mini's. There are no official or "knock-off" type of tracks like how Ikea sells Thomas tracks, so it's hard. Maybe I'll stop by Home Depot and see what I can come up with with my limited ability to construct. Smile

If you cannot find glow in the darks in Canada, I'd be happy to pick one up from Target and mail them to you. If you have some of the trains I am looking for, maybe you can send some back my way.

RE: thomas and friends mini series - YALLLOW - 09-23-2016

My uncle is making me some display cases... I'll post pictures as soon as I have them Smile)

RE: thomas and friends mini series - drewbenn - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 12:33 AM)Pablo392 Wrote: It's easy to ask for things that one might assume so easy to add, but you've already done a lot (highlighting packs, that's brilliant), and sometimes simple does it much better than fancy looking websites/scripts. If there is already a thread on your website somewhere else or on this forum, can you point me there, so I don't bother you with things in other threads like this one.

Heh, highlighting wasn't my idea, it came from a user's suggestion Wink. Don't worry about whether a feature is easy or not to implement, because that's not really obvious from looking at the UI (yesterday someone left feedback asking for a number field by each engine to count *how many* duplicates they have; but the entire program is built around "yes I have it or no I don't" and I can't add a number of each engine, at all; early on I'd implemented an undocumented feature to support multiple lists but it was clunky and I hated using it myself, so I kind of dropped it).

The most helpful thing for me is a little story (just a sentence or two) about *how* the feature is helpful or will be used. If someone had said, "I want to highlight some of the engines" I'd have ignored it; "I want to know if there are any blister packs that wouldn't give me duplicates," now that's a useful feature and I can come up with a good way to show that. In general, I'm only going to implement a feature that makes it easier for (or is at least transparent to) the harried parent in the toy store aisle trying to figure out which blind bags they should get.

I don't have any other forum, so if you have any more ideas go ahead and ask here, at least until someone tells us to stop! Wink

RE: thomas and friends mini series - Pablo392 - 09-24-2016

(09-23-2016, 11:07 PM)drewbenn Wrote: Heh, highlighting wasn't my idea, it came from a user's suggestion Wink. Don't worry about whether a feature is easy or not to implement, because that's not really obvious from looking at the UI (yesterday someone left feedback asking for a number field by each engine to count *how many* duplicates they have; but the entire program is built around "yes I have it or no I don't" and I can't add a number of each engine, at all; early on I'd implemented an undocumented feature to support multiple lists but it was clunky and I hated using it myself, so I kind of dropped it).

The most helpful thing for me is a little story (just a sentence or two) about *how* the feature is helpful or will be used. If someone had said, "I want to highlight some of the engines" I'd have ignored it; "I want to know if there are any blister packs that wouldn't give me duplicates," now that's a useful feature and I can come up with a good way to show that. In general, I'm only going to implement a feature that makes it easier for (or is at least transparent to) the harried parent in the toy store aisle trying to figure out which blind bags they should get.

I don't have any other forum, so if you have any more ideas go ahead and ask here, at least until someone tells us to stop! Wink

The duplicates are a good idea, but like you said people don't know how the system works behind the scenes, so it's hard for them to imagine what it would take to implement something that might look simple.

The italicized names are very helpful, so what I am doing with duplicates, I have + next to each one, so every time I get a duplicate (and let's be honest, who hasn't bought a whole pack to get just 1 train, OK maybe I am alone on that but I have to do it) I put a little + next to it. Then I count them all. I think I will use a dice method, I'll draw a box, and for each duplicate, I'll put a dice dot. That way I can do up to 6 in a box + what I have, 7. Hopefully I'll never have 7 of any engines but you never know.

That reminds me, I am planning to separate my duplicates and let my son play with them instead of trying to sell them, unless someone wants to trade. This way he still gets to play with this awesome toy, and I get to help him with a nice collection that he can keep later on.

I wish Fisher-Price could cooperate with you and supply pictures and actual release roster so you can be semi-official Minis collector guide.

RE: thomas and friends mini series - OttawaQ - 09-24-2016

(09-23-2016, 04:24 AM)Pablo392 Wrote: Those look very simple. For Regular wooden thomas the tank engine trains, you can get a bag of straight tracks for about $20 and glue them on some strip of wood, then screw those to 1x2s. I suppose you would have to saw off the ends of some of the tracks to make them flat, but that would be an awesome weekend project.

However, it's not so easy with Mini's. There are no official or "knock-off" type of tracks like how Ikea sells Thomas tracks, so it's hard. Maybe I'll stop by Home Depot and see what I can come up with with my limited ability to construct. Smile

If you cannot find glow in the darks in Canada, I'd be happy to pick one up from Target and mail them to you. If you have some of the trains I am looking for, maybe you can send some back my way.

Thanks Pablo, I would love that! What minis are you missing/looking for?

(09-24-2016, 02:34 AM)OttawaQ Wrote: Thanks Pablo, I would love that! What minis are you missing/looking for?

Let me go and pick up a pack for you first, I want to make sure I can still find one.
Here is my IxByIx list, you can take a look and let me know which ones you have.

Thanks.

** I hope clicking on this list will not mess up yours. Maybe open incognito window in Chrome or private window in Firefox**

Sorry, here is the correct list, I can't edit my post above, I realized some of the engines weren't checked:

Link IxByIx

RE: thomas and friends mini series - OttawaQ - 09-24-2016

(09-24-2016, 03:28 AM)Pablo392 Wrote: Let me go and pick up a pack for you first, I want to make sure I can still find one.
Here is my IxByIx list, you can take a look and let me know which ones you have.

Thanks.

** I hope clicking on this list will not mess up yours. Maybe open incognito window in Chrome or private window in Firefox**

Sorry, here is the correct list, I can't edit my post above, I realized some of the engines weren't checked:

Link IxByIx

Okay, I'll have a look around, pretty sure I have/can find all of the 2015 and 2016 wave engines, with exception of Platinum Thomas. Will keep you posted. We have about a million minis in carrying cases and bins Smile but I will try to find u the engines still in the package

(09-24-2016, 12:18 PM)OttawaQ Wrote: Okay, I'll have a look around, pretty sure I have/can find all of the 2015 and 2016 wave engines, with exception of Platinum Thomas. Will keep you posted. We have about a million minis in carrying cases and bins Smile but I will try to find u the engines still in the package

I got your Glow in the Dark pack. Two of the stores didn't have it, lucky to find it at the 3rd store. Grabbed a pack for you.

I updated my list, I found the last missing piece of 2016/3 and now it's complete.

If you have any of my missing ones, it's really OK if they are not in package since I plan to open all of mine once I find a proper display.

That reminds me, How did you end up with so many Minis?

RE: thomas and friends mini series - Nigels - 09-25-2016

I've just been in my local supermarket and managed to find a bunch of 2016 wave 4, quite odd the numbers based on what I found start at least at 33 and go as high as at least 55. So the numbers overlap with those in wave 3, but they do not duplicate them as the models in the numbers that do overlap are different.

Does anyone know of a check list for this wave?