Blue Plastic Tracks
What gauge is the Tomy line? - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What gauge is the Tomy line? (/thread-817.html)

Pages: 1 2

What gauge is the Tomy line? - ROCKINATOR - 03-02-2015

The title pretty much says it all. I'm going to get some simalar size stations. And I had seen the answer before I just can't remember...

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - HankAmericanEngine - 03-02-2015

Howdy @"ROCKINATOR"!

If I recall correctly, TAKARA TOMY and TrackMaster (HiT Toys, F.P. 1.0) are somewhere around HO scale or O scale. Hope this helps!

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - ROCKINATOR - 03-02-2015

I was just looking at the guage sizes. And I think it's S scale if I remember correctly.

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - HankAmericanEngine - 03-02-2015

I think the TOMY/TrackMaster engines, rolling stock, destinations, and track would be either O scale, S scale, or possibly On30 scale. HO Scale figures and accessories work nicely with the products as well.

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - NWRMainLineTerminal - 03-02-2015

What I've seen is that the trackmaster track's inner plastic ledge(inner track line) is HO scale of I can remember correctly. Leokimvideo(YouTuber I'm subscribed to) has a video on it. I dont know about TOMY track though, since each piece of track's end has the inner track cut off at the connection.

Even though the track may be HO, the rolling stock definetly isn't HO. Probably one scale bigger?

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - Ucwepn - 03-02-2015

S scale is 1:64 like most hotwheels/matchbox etc diecast cars. I would say between OO and S somewhere

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - chrisjo - 03-02-2015

From the point of view of sourcing buildings and other scenic details, it doesn't really matter what gauge the track is.

What matters is that the stuff looks correct in proportion to the trains. I suggest that a good measure would be the height of the engines and carriages from the bottoms of the wheels to the tops of the roofs, which is 50mm (if I remember correctly, as I'm currently 100 miles away from any). British railway stock Loading Gauge was (and is) infinitely variable, but an average height published in a 1930's carriage and wagon builders pocket book was 12 feet 10 inches, which can conveniently be approximated to 4 meters, so if 50mm = 4m then the scale is 50:4000 = 1:80

S Scale = 1:64
OO Scale = 1:76
HO Scale = 1:87

So any buildings designed for OO/HO railways OUGHT to look OK.

Of course if I've remembered 50mm incorrectly, then this is all nonsense. Would someone like to check please?

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - chrisjo - 03-02-2015

Home now, and I find that the works coach is 53mm high, while Spencer's express coach is 50mm, so not far off.

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - Super - 03-02-2015

I find that scale isn't exactly defined here. I think HO people are a match for Tomy trains as far as scale are concerned but I find a lot of HO buildings are too small to the eye in the layout next to the Tomy trains. I also find some of the S and O scale buildings look good but a lot are just too big. If you are using Plakids, they are not to scale with these trains and are probably closer to O scale. So Plakids do not fit with HO buildings but do work with S and O buildings. Same goes with accessories, trees, luggage etc. I find that some HO accessories fit nicely with the trains but are too small for plakids. Our layout has a mixture of HO, S and O scale items. I don't think many of the Tomy or Trackmaster buildings are to scale with the trains. Now when you add in the cars and vehicles I don't think any of the Hotwheels, Tomica or Matchbox are scaled to the trains at least not as my eye sees it. I find it interesting to find buildings and/or accessories that aren't always for train sets but are sold with other toys or merchandise that, when placed in a layout just looks good. After all, isn't that one of the attractions to these models? That you aren't regimented to a scale like the serious model railroaders are to scale. Heck, even from one Tomy engine to the next is not to scale with each other.

RE: What gauge is the Tomy line? - ROCKINATOR - 03-02-2015

I know that HO scale stations are too small, but I've never really seen an O or an S scale station. I built my own platform and station a couple days ago, because I wanted a longer platform so I could fit three or four coaches instead of just one or two.