Plarail TOMY Thomas NEW RELEASES

2095 Replies, 1697460 Views

I hope Plarail would re-release other ancient (by Plarail history) but famous train sets, i.e. TGV or Eurostar, as well as Shinkansen.

Do you know that by now, Shinkansen 100, 200, E1 are the only commercial shinkansen series not yet received the "universal chassis" treatment?
Hunting Shinkansen for life (but not at all costs) :>
[-] The following 1 user Likes HanoibusGamer's post:
  • Super
The Next Plarail Best Selection Set...."Dog Express"  releasing in late April

[Image: 71-Zzs-Rf2-Zs-L-AC-SL1100.jpg]

[Image: 61e-Adkn-Up-L-AC-SL1100.jpg]

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
That 3-point light blue rail could be useful, 360 degree turn for trains of all lengths, not just the traditional 3 cars.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HanoibusGamer's post:
  • Super
(02-28-2023, 03:48 PM)HanoibusGamer Wrote: That 3-point light blue rail could be useful…
[Image: pic_allinone_parts_05.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, HanoibusGamer, Super
It was announced today that a real, live, Plarail Expo 2023 will be held at Ikebukuro Sunshine City in Tokyo, starting 27th April.

TakaraTomy will release an event-limited "165 srs Express Train (Shonan color)". 

[Image: image.png]

As far as I can see from the picture, the shape is the same as when it was released as Tokai Express S-34 (2003-2020), but the JR mark has been removed, the wheels have changed from yellow to gray, and the destination board has been given a black edge.

Unsurprisingly the general reaction so far among Plarail fans in Japan can be summed up as "uh????".

The entrance souvenirs, an N700S Shinkansen intermediate car and Thomas Colourful Swaying Freight Cars (three colours available) are the same as were advertised for the cancelled Expo 2020.

[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Mister No, Super
Can agree, the exclusive train does not look too "exclusive"

Also what is this black thing next to the hook, looks unfamiliar
[Image: uvgkjglg.png]
(03-09-2023, 03:18 PM)HanoibusGamer Wrote: Also what is this black thing next to the hook, looks unfamiliar

Same mechanism as on the other N700S cars that have removable shells.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • HanoibusGamer
I am thrilled to hear that the Plarail Expo's live are once again being held in Tokyo. I wonder if there will be any sneak peeks of an upcoming release like they seem to have had in the Expo's of the past.

I am a bit disappointed in the Event Exclusive train, its probably just me but seeing it got me thinking....could it be that Plarail has done so many trains of Japan that they are running out of new ideas? Maybe that is why they came up with the fictitious Plarail Best Selection series (are there 4 now)? Maybe I was hoping for a big bang for the return of the Tokyo Plarail Expo event exclusive and should just wait and hope that they can get back to what it was before the Wuhan Virus.

Thanks for the heads up Dr Chris 😃👍
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, Mister No
(03-09-2023, 06:21 PM)Super Wrote: could it be that Plarail has done so many trains of Japan that they are running out of new ideas? 

How could that be even possible? I mean, I really like their commuter trains, and this Tokai doppelgänger is a nice train, but they really have so many nice commuter lines in Japan! When I watch train videos from Japan, I often catch myself thinking: Wow! This one would be just perfect as Plarail model train! And that one! And that one too! They just can't run out of ideas for train models in Japan. 😊

I'm not familiar with the process they must undergo before producing a model train. Some of the trains they are making in co-production with railway companies, but what about others? Do they have to ask for permission to make a certain model train? Then there are moulds; it's obviously easier to make something with the existing moulds, so there is no ton of really new models, I can understand that... On the other hand, there are many new colouring schemes that can be used on already existing moulds, but they keep re-releasing the same model in the same colours... 

But if they lack ideas, that's really strange, because they have really a huge number of beautiful trains right before their eyes.

[Image: J-Ishikawa-Prefecture.webp]
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • chrisjo, generic_truck_69420
haha...I know I will trigger some with this but I don't consider Commuters as 'Trains' probably because I never saw (and still haven't) seen one in the flesh. Growing up on the rare occasion of seeing one on TV it was called a Subway Car and those were only in a hand full of cities here in the US. I grew up seeing only steamers and diesels, never even saw an electric and still haven't seen an electric to this day in the flesh. So when I mention about my disappointment and running out of ideas I am probably using my own bias. What I still wish, and I don't see why they wouldn't still be popular in Japan, is that instead of the fictitious Best Selection Series they came up with a 'Trains of the World Series' where once a year they released something very different from the Japan Trains from some other country. As you say though, it may not be feasible if they have to get permissions and share any profits with the intellectual property owners.
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, HanoibusGamer, Mister No