Toy train photography gallery (post your awesome shots here)

211 Replies, 240783 Views

While I don't like to give spoilers to my videos, but I'm really happy with these sets that I made today:

[Image: DSC-1020.jpg]

[Image: DSC-1030.jpg]
The magic of the GWR
@LaG
Those are some nice outdoor snapshots LaG, is that artificial turf in your yard?

@DD&O
Love that viaduct.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp
Yes, the whole garden is decked in synthetic grass (of varying shades, thicknesses, brands and sizes).
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, Super
👍
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
It may look great, but that's only thanks to the camera angle, It was used and I still haven't got around to restoring it, however after a lot of attempts I was able to film Gordon going under it and bulgy is able to use it like any other tomy/Trackmaster road .
The magic of the GWR
[-] The following 2 users Like Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
[Image: 8-C05813-F-5288-4-F6-D-8730-B4-EA4-EFC5-E16.jpg][Image: 60463382-A47-F-4921-8-FF1-102-ACC218426.jpg]

Two more photos from the day after my Project Tiger Moth tribute, showing the other side of the concrete surface. The rocky edge along the wall doubled as both part of a quarry/construction site and ballast for track (though it's a little too steep for the latter). The Take Along Fergus was clearly too small for the trucks, but I only chose him because he fits with the "quarry" aesthetic. Someday, I might make a custom one that's more like the ERTL version in size. Really love how the composition turned out, and even Jack and Alfie don't look too bad despite being oversized. No idea why I chose Gordon and not someone shorter than him. A close up showing how the rocks look when used for ballast:

[Image: 9134564-E-334-C-4064-A0-E6-77-CBC8-FFFD0-D.jpg]

There are two additional concrete bars on the ground that look nearly as good for such photos. One of them is right near the wall, while the other (pictured) is near the grass.

[Image: F251005-E-DB59-4-E89-BBA6-4410-D2-E3-A356.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, generic_truck_69420, mitzalplik, Super
Simple but effective! I like it!
The magic of the GWR
[-] The following 3 users Like Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp's post:
  • DalaGStanator, mitzalplik, Super
@DalaGStanator
You've had some really creative customs over the threads I'm trying to catch up with. cool beans.
[-] The following 2 users Like mitzalplik's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
In addition to all the props/accessories that were brought home with my collections, there were a plenty of other ones that have been kept in my room the whole time. Last Thursday, I took these five photos to take advantage of certain props after moving two boxes into the shed and sorting their contents. The first four are remakes of Thomas & Friends shots from random Season 1 episodes, while the fifth did not use a reference. Each one has been edited to correct the engines' expressions and add three other enhancements.

[Image: 001.jpg]

In an attempt to "cover up" the fact I never had proper bushes, they were represented by third party trees laid on their sides (with the trunks and branches covered with smaller trees). Terence looks more like he mowed the field rather than ploughing it.

[Image: 002.jpg]

Among the props happened to be a neat looking telegraph pole (from an unknown source), which has a peg at the bottom and can fit into a Plarail tree/signal base. It is actually missing two insulators, and both photos I put it in were doctored to reinstate them. I forgot how tightly the roof parts on the HiT/FP Tidmouth Sheds went together, so I chose not to build it out of fear the connectors might break. Even the door walls were hard to detach from the turntable when taking the set apart. Funnily enough, the coal staithe was replaced by a crate of tomatoes (one of many vegetable crates from some kind of farm playset/s, which also made up the side of the platform Sir Topham Hatt was on). Didn't feel like taking one of my packing foam pieces for it.

[Image: 003.jpg]

In this shot from "Whistles and Sneezes", motion blur and Gaussian blur were used to make Gordon appear to move. FP Talking engines are geared to move slowly and cannot free wheel, so my usual tricks didn't work. My cardboard Henry looks a bit poorly made now, so I've thought about making a third version using photos of a TOMY one for measurements.

[Image: 004.jpg]

I no longer have another orange coach that looks like Annie/Clarabel, so the third coach had to be my custom Henrietta. Not sure where I got the fence from (like most of the other props), but it fits right in despite being taller than it should be. The other half is a gate that opens and closes.

[Image: 005.jpg]

Lastly, a shot with the Elsbridge crossing to show what two of my cardboard vehicles look like in a scene. The two figures on the bench were passengers from the bump 'n go bus mentioned in this post. There are two others like them plus the driver, who is bigger and has his arms in a steering wheel position. A little too big for Plarail, but I'm sure they'll work better for my bigger scratch built models. Like all the other edits, the headlight and tail light effect was done in Paint.NET. Night shots will be great fun to do in that regard.

Of all these, the "Trouble in the Shed" scene is my favourite when it comes to the composition and how the props were arranged.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
I love that detail of headlights you made with paint.net. I have been using that for years but never knew the program had a feature like that. Nice work 😃
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator