List of Standard Fixes for TOMY trains?

8 Replies, 5023 Views

Hey guys, I just bought this set (seller photo), and the description says that Thomas didn't work when a battery was put in, although, considering it looks so immaculate for being from the 90's (I think), I'm thinking I could probably fix it. However, it has been a while, and I don't remember a lot of the standard attempts at a fix, so I was wondering if you could help me? Thanks!
[Image: Screenshot-20210614-191830-e-Bay.jpg]
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Is there a battery corrosion? If there is, it is hard to repair.  

pull the motor out of the chassis and use a screw driver and move the gears a bit.  Sometimes the grease and oil make the motor seize.  Thomas is widely available, I wouldn't bother repairing it. 

If you insists on repairing it, I would probably use Percy motor.  Some of the engines use the same type of motor..
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
I don't know if there's battery corrosion yet. I just bought it today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • Super
There are really no 'List' of fixes but once you receive the engine and have a chance to look at it, I am sure our members can help you get him going with ideas of whats wrong and how to fix it.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, TrainMan2001
Thanks Super!
  • DalaGStanator, Super
If there is no corrosion that needs to be cleaned off, sometimes you just need to give the motor a nice thwack with the butt end of a screwdriver. Someone else could probably explain exactly why that works, but I like to think it scares the little conductors who reside in there.
[-] The following 3 users Like confusedanddelayed's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super, TrainMan2001
Honestly, there are many problems these trains can get, it can range from minor ones like a stuck gear in the motor that only needs a twist to get it going again, and there are serious ones like when the batteries leak in a talking engine and the corrosion destroys the circuit board, I should be able to help you fix some issues but you should look to the YouTuber 'Custom Trackmasters' if none of us can help

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3cddLo...G2N8VDiTvA 
[Image: 795436713421701122.png?v=1]
[-] The following 2 users Like TheDiamondDalek's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Thank you!
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Yeah, corrosion is the issue. However, there's no soldering involved, so I think I could bend up a new terminal from metal. I'd just need to buy a bit of metal from the hobby shop near me. Oh, and the corrosion isn't on the motor terminal, which hopefully will make it easier.
  • DalaGStanator, Super