A Christmas PlaRail Compatible Set?

18 Replies, 12365 Views

Ok, the set arrived and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The quality of the train/wagons is superb easily up there with real Tomy models, the track also is of a virtually identical level of quality/colour, just missing the Tomy logo. There is a nice station, several trees (plastic not cardboard), couple of trackside signs and even a miniature screw-driver and a couple of spare traction tyres - now why don't Tomy do that and provide spares?!?

Anyway, here's a picture of the box and the inner contents;

[Image: DSC_1019.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1020.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1021.jpg]

The train itself is taller than your average Tomy loco but otherwise around the same length and definitely the same gauge/width. One cool touch are the wheels which are clear as opposed to coloured and for a very good reason too, they are illuminated when it is turned on. It also has a red head light as well as sound effects (yes the usual train sounds you get on these sort of sets). The battery compartment is in the back of the cab and is accessed by undoing a small screw and removing the panel. This reveals a battery box that takes 3 x AA batteries. The pushrods on the wheels also work nicely. Anyway here's some pictures;

[Image: DSC_1022.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1023.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1024.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1025.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1030.jpg]

Next up we have the three wagons, one with Santa, another parcels and the last a christmas tree. Unfortunately these are static and not animated as speculated, but overall bearing in mind the price paid I don't think this is a disaster as they are pretty well modelled, moulded and painted;

[Image: DSC_1027.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1028.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1029.jpg]

And last but not least, not to mention a first for me, a short video showing the sound and lights, not an oscar winner for sure, but it can probably highlight the effects better than any number of words Smile

Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Nigels's post:
  • ActionChugger, DalaGStanator, ripley802, Super

Messages In This Thread
A Christmas PlaRail Compatible Set? - by Nigels - 09-11-2016, 12:27 AM
RE: A Christmas PlaRail Compatible Set? - by Nigels - 09-16-2016, 05:25 PM