Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models

8 Replies, 9791 Views

Hi Folks,

Well you know in the past I've talked about adding glazing (glass) to windows on models where there is just a molded window frame? On those attempts I've tried to glue in pieces of clear plastic to the inside of the model, which is messy and haphazard at best as some types of plastic are not so keen to be glued to others etc...

Anyway in my search for something better I think I may have found it, a product called 'Glue N Glaze' made by a company called 'Deluxe Materials'. This comes in a small plastic bottle with a very narrow spout as well as the basic one. Basically you can use this to either glue pieces of clear plastic together, or alternatively if the window isn't too large you can use it to make a window out of the material itself.

[Image: IMG_20180426_170508078.jpg]

The pictures below show the process and the results which I tested on my Class 06 Hornby Diesel that I picked up recently with the intention of detailing/customising.

The first picture shows you that the cab has several windows, but none of them are glazed as this is a relatively low detail model;

[Image: IMG_20180501_234352545.jpg]

Using the narrow tip you first draw a layer of the material around the outside of the frame, them moving in slowly you slowly fill in the window ending up with the following (the material is white when fluid)

[Image: IMG_20180501_235743058.jpg]

For larger windows you can add some of the material first and then go back when dry to add more until the whole window is filled, alternatively you could get some clear plastic and use this material to glue it to the inside as it is more compatible than normal polystyrene cement.

[Image: IMG_20180501_235749979.jpg]

After curing (I left it overnight), the material goes clear and provides quite a good impression of glass in the previously empty window frame the followind doesn't show it quite as well as it looks in reality, but it gives you an idea (the white is a reflection of outdoor light);

[Image: IMG_20180502_065446678.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Chrizzly, fred16850, MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, ripley802, Super

Messages In This Thread
Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Nigels - 05-02-2018, 08:10 PM
RE: Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Super - 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
RE: Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Super - 05-07-2018, 11:39 PM