Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models

8 Replies, 9840 Views

Ok guys, update time, here's some results using the glue n' glaze product;

Ok, first up is the Class 08 'large windows' I said would need several applications as building the 'skin' across too large a window is just not viable, so the idea was to build a frame and then keep building it up until you can skin the whole window. Well it worked with 3 applications, however I'm not entirely happy, the initial 'frame' I created was a bit too thick and therefore did not dry totally clear. However all is not lost I intend to maybe cut it out and try again trying to keep the skin as thin as possible. If that does not work well maybe the solution will be a small clear cross member to effectively make the window into two smaller ones if that makes sense?

[Image: IMG_20180507_232216251.jpg]

Despite my concerns about clarity, shining a torch into the cab (to simulate an LED being fitted inside which I intend to do also, albeit a warmer white than the torch, the windows actually look ok despite my concerns - but there again I am a stickler for detail Smile

[Image: IMG_20180507_232555528.jpg]

Next up is the Class E2 loco I snagged at a cheap price with the intention of creating a custom, well as you know after a chat on here I decided instead to renovate. First step was to glaze this loco's cab and it worked very well. The first image shows you the front windows glazed, as you can see they look just like perfect glass lenses, the second picture I lit the cab with a torch (I will be adding a flickering LED to the firebox on this one). The third picture is of the rear windows which have 'bars', again the glazing looks great, although to be fair it looks better in the flesh than it does in this picture.

[Image: IMG_20180507_232106383.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180507_232625675.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180507_232651845.jpg]

One last piece of info, the Glue N' Glaze product does look very much like PVA glue, except of course it dries clear so long as you only use a thin layer. Well while in a local hobby store I managed to find a bottle of 'clear PVA glue' so I will be carrying out some experiments to see how that dries as it will be way cheaper if it does end up clear and may be more forgiving with thicker layers Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super

Messages In This Thread
Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Nigels - 05-02-2018, 08:10 PM
RE: Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Super - 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
RE: Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Nigels - 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM
RE: Adding Glazing (Windows) to Models - by Super - 05-07-2018, 11:39 PM