Backdating Bachmann's Thomas the Tank Engine

94 Replies, 83902 Views

I'm back with a bit more progress! The glue didn't actually stick the pieces of Thomas together last time, so I had to do that again. I also put some milliput inside the boiler where the join for the smokebox was, so it shouldn't come apart now. I also glued the underside of the boiler to him, which came from the smokebox from the Clockwork model (there's not much of it left!).
[Image: IMG-20220116-190239.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20220116-190358.jpg]

I also decided that I'll just use the Bachmann mechanism (other modellers leave older mechanisms in models they improve with success), because I know that it runs pretty well. However, I did get a new motor, since I had my old one for 7 years, and it was in a box for at least 5 years before that, and it has definitely been used a lot! I'll be modifying the gearbox to fit the smaller body, and I'll try to figure something out to disguise it in the cab (I'm planning on putting some detail in that).

[Image: IMG-20220116-190653.jpg]
That's all for now! I just need to put some milliput in a few gaps to fill them and design a 3d-printed running plate (I think I'll copy the Bachmann N Scale design), then I can wait for the detail parts to arrive from the U.K.. After that, the alterations will be complete and I can start on painting!
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Kitbashing" Thomas the Tank Engine - by TrainMan2001 - 01-17-2022, 12:53 AM