What did you do to your trains today?

575 Replies, 580993 Views

[Image: F6-C5283-A-DD09-4-CB2-89-C3-E3695-D23-B94-B.jpg][Image: 1-C566-CA2-65-BA-4-B3-A-A50-E-433-B5-B7-F731-A.jpg]

While doing some cleaning under my bed, I found two pieces of porous black packing foam I kept a few years ago (probably from a laptop or other hardware). Being dissatisfied with the coal load in 69420's tender (hot melt glue and clay), I thought I should cut a piece of the foam and see how it would look in its place. Sure enough, it makes a radical difference. The clay-glue coal stuck so hard I couldn't tear through it/rip it out, so I had to cut a thin layer and hastily glue it on top. Nevertheless, it gave me a much more realistic result that not only looks more proportionate, but is quicker and easier to use. Even tank engines with tiny bunkers need several hundreds of individual lumps and not a few dozens mushed together/buried under smooth layers. To think I went to the length of moulding and casting the coal from an Edward for my custom Henry, when a perfect solution was right under the bed the whole time. Now I know what method I'll use for later engines, hoppers, staithes, chutes or anything loaded with coal. Maybe even other materials like gravel for ballast (painted, obviously). Wonderful.
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2023, 10:04 PM by DalaGStanator.)
[-] The following 3 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super, Therealblack64YT

Messages In This Thread
What did you do to your trains today? - by Ucwepn - 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM
RE: What did you do to your trains today? - by DalaGStanator - 06-11-2022, 08:38 PM