DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments

172 Replies, 77815 Views

[Image: 10-F72-D3-B-E6-F5-4953-B9-DD-B9-FE3-E61-F4-C4.jpg][Image: 5-C70452-B-1-F88-4-DBF-9208-22-F6-AE36-B5-F8.jpg]

To try and find the real reason why the unfinished 2-6-0 can't keep its rear wheels on the track (not because the gearbox is rigid), I thought I should test it on TOMY and TrackMaster track to see if the flanges keep touching the outer edges (which correspond to the raised rails). It got stuck on TOMY's middle connectors due to the screwed joint on the bottom, so it could only clear TM. The rear flanges had no trouble staying on the edges, while the Union track apparently gets too wide at one point and they lose their grip; confusingly, making the flanges wider actually breaks the gauge instead of helping them reach the other rail. Therefore, I've concluded the driven axle was trimmed a little too much to fit the crankpins. With the OG length, the rear wheels tracked perfectly whenever I motorised it. I do have one other gearbox like it that won't be modified, so I've thought about fitting it horizontally in a motorised tender (after replacing the one in the loco with another bearing). I'll first try making a prototype chassis to push the orange saddle tank. If that succeeds, I'll build the 2-6-0's tender on top of it.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2023, 09:00 AM by DalaGStanator.)
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp, generic_truck_69420

Messages In This Thread
RE: DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments - by DalaGStanator - 03-09-2023, 12:43 PM