Backdating Bachmann's Thomas the Tank Engine

94 Replies, 83364 Views

Time for an update, though this one will be a bit different. I realized that any attempts to keep the original motor set up would make the model at least a little bit unsatisfactory in my eyes, mainly because I want to get it (excepting my ideas for additional detail) as close to the television series model as I can. The cab is also proving at least somewhat troublesome in that regard as well. Although there's certainly room for a fully open cab, the fineness of the cab sides would probably leave it somewhat flimsy working with plasticard. Conversely, any attempt to remotor the model is outside of my skill range and budget. There is also the factor of time. Come June, I will be graduating from high school and I will be moving to the next stage of my life, which means I won't really be able to do modelling for at least two years. To do everything I'd want to with this project would probably leave it unfinished for a long time.

However, this does not mean that I am abandoning the project. Since I believe I can finish the running plate in the time I have left, I am planning on combining the running plate, wheels, and faces with my second Thomas model so that I can at least finish off with a more acceptable model. I will push back the other modifications to the original Thomas until I can figure out a way to do them in the way I want to. I'll still update this thread with the mods I'll be carrying out to the new Thomas (which is basically just a repeat of the first half of the first page). At least this way I'll be able to apply what I've learned the first time.
-TM2001
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • Super

Messages In This Thread
RE: *UPDATE* "Backdating" Bachmann's Thomas the Tank Engine - by TrainMan2001 - 02-29-2020, 11:59 PM