DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments

169 Replies, 76075 Views

[Image: B97-A4054-18-E2-4292-8-E75-D6-D6-A469879-F.jpg][Image: 69-D79957-209-C-4-F77-AA23-930263178448.jpg][Image: 789-F2565-2-D9-F-4940-BDE0-D2351-BCE6-C45.jpg]

Went out and bought two different options for the traction tyres - a set of O-rings in various sizes and a tube of rubber adhesive. While I did manage to expand the biggest O-rings into a slightly bigger diameter, I had no way to make them remain that size when taken off. Instead, I applied the adhesive in a similar process to Bullfrog Snot: turning the wheels on a paintbrush, pouring as evenly as I could and leaving to cure. In the event they weren't going to work, I cut thin strips from one of the rubber pads that came with it and also tried heat shrink tubing, neither of which did it for me. I had to apply several coats until I got them to work right, and they perform surprisingly well even though they still don't "coast". While they fit well on all three track systems, the flawed construction of the model caused it to derail on TOMY/TM curves (unlike when the wheels were broad). To ensure they won't hit the side rods, the extension tubes for the axles were cut down and are now bearings only. While on the shelf, I now put the loco on supports to avoid getting flat spots in the tyres (worked hard to get them just right). Should they ever wear out, I could always apply it again. Very happy it fits the bill, and I'm pleased to finally put the Rocket to rest for the time being.
[-] The following 3 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, mitzalplik, PerkyHydrAan

Messages In This Thread
RE: DalaGStanator's Customs, Mods and Experiments - by DalaGStanator - 01-26-2022, 09:18 PM