Ripley's TnA (Talk n Action) Repair Thread

93 Replies, 98076 Views

Received some TnA engines from another member today to repair. I will post some pics and updates on the repairs as I get to them. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Oh boy, and a chance to try out that fabulous new soldering iron.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
(03-17-2017, 04:37 PM)Super Wrote: Oh boy, and a chance to try out that fabulous new soldering iron.

Yes indeed, new battery terminals needed on these guys..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Well, I couldn't have been more wrong on these repairs being just battery terminals. These so far have been the most challenging for me so far.

There are the following to be repaired:
- TnA Thomas x 3
- TnA Henry.
- TnA Gordon.

I have looked at two of the Thomas's and while they had great battery terminals the member had attempted some repairs. I applaud the attempt but in order to repair I am needing to de-solder all of the wires on the circuit board. I started in on this but am needing to get some more wire which I ordered from Amazon. I got a bit frustrated with them and moved on to Henry. I figured re-doing the battery terminals would not be too bad as I have done several. I got all of the terminals out (see before and after below) and while they were drying after cleaning with white vinegar and water I had a look at the engine. While in the on position the wheels spun so I figured it had a stripped gear. Upon taking it apart I discovered more repair attempts and while not as bad as the Thomas engines I had looked at it was pretty bad. Then I discovered ther was no motor, no gears, and the spring for the activation mechinisim was gone.

Never fear though, a donor TnA British James was in the spare yard. James, Henry, and Gordon all have the same style motor assembly. I removed the wires one at a time from James, soldering to Henry as I went. 2 hours later and Henry (just the engine) is back together and working. Just need to get the battery terminals in and make final connections.

Once Henry is done, on to Gordon. Cool

Here is the before and after of the Battery Terminal a rear after being cleaned up.
[Image: 10_B69787-544_C-41_B7-_AB60-85_F56357445...iy6zoh.jpg]
[Image: 48_DBAF9_E-_D28_B-400_E-_B78_A-7_D11_C85...7fknsb.jpg]
  • grodriguez
How is that new Soldering Iron Ripley?
  • grodriguez
(03-27-2017, 12:46 AM)Super Wrote: How is that new Soldering Iron Ripley?

Absolutely amazing. I mean, you turn it on and in maybe 5 seconds it is ready to go at 750 degrees. I had some issues at first but found it was the lead free solder that was the issue. I tried a different type I had and have had no issues. I also have a little de-soldering pump now too which is very cool.
  • MuddyPoppins
Add Soldering King to your ever growing repertoire.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ripley802
Henry is now fixed. On to Gordon. I opened him up to find the same repair attemp. I will dig into him probably tomorrow. Good news is his battery terminals were perfect. I can only guess that fuse between the battery terminals is blow which is why it initially was not working..Dodgy
[Image: 8_CDC1_B5_A-8_DEB-4589-_AB6_A-7_D0042_EB...gwrwki.jpg]
[Image: 2657_CAC5-_D7_EB-4_F9_F-807_A-_F042_ACAF...e8mcyx.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like ripley802's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Super
Are the pictures the Before view?
  • ripley802
(03-28-2017, 12:41 AM)Super Wrote: Are the pictures the Before view?
Yeah. There are several wires cut (white, green, black, etc...). Sleepy

I will likely need to remove most all of the solder and start fresh with each connection because these wires are very fragile and thin and it seems you get one reattached and then another falls off, it is an endless cycle it seems..
  • Super