Glues & Epoxy---What Do You Use?

14 Replies, 14269 Views

When making modifications or custom items I sometimes have trouble gluing certain plastics together or different plastics together. This has gone on for some time. I have tried every kind and brand of Super Type Glues but most are unsuccessful which is strange to me because I thought Super Type Glues stuck any surfaces together. It must be certain types of plastic that just won't accept the glues.

This again showed up when I tried gluing different plastics together on a sign I am making for the roof of the 'Goods Shed' I bought. First, I have to say that I love the Loctite line of Super Glues and tried all the different ones like the Gel, Thin, Ultra Liquid, Extra Time all with differing results but all eventually failed with a little wiggle. I also tried my second favorite Krazy Glue with brush which didn't help. I must note that from experience I won't use the Original 'Super Glue' Brand because I have found that it off gasses on plastic and leaves a smoke residue that can't be removed on the plastic.

In this day and age there has to be something that would work better. Looking around I discovered, from my favorite Loctite Brand, this 'Plastic Bonding System'  So far this has worked great and the plastics are holding together perfectly. Using the Activator marker you mark the two sides, wait 60 seconds for it to dry then apply the glue sparingly to one side and hold the parts together for 30 seconds and its bonded. Fully cures in 12 -24 hours. There are several videos on YouTube showing this system on different types of plastics including gluing stretchable rubber. I hope this solves my problems.

[Image: DSCN0617.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0623.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, Tharazero1
It depends really, I use Gel Super Glue as it's easier to control than regular Super Glue. I also use Milliput and recently Spackling Paste.
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • Super
Exactly T-Boy, it depends on the plastic types you are trying to bond. You mentioned 'Gel Super Glue' what Brand are you referring to as the term 'Super Glue' even though it is the original Brand is now a generic term for all glues like this. Which Brand are you referring to as maybe I haven't tried it. Have a picture or Link?
When I used a lot more Super Glue and had a hobby shop nearby, I liked the Pacer Zap line. IIRC, they had formulas for hard to glue materials like polycarbonate and even a “no fog” to use on clear parts. Of course, using their Zip Kicker instant setting solution seemed to cause fogging no matter what type you used. My usual go-to was Zap A Gap with Zip Kicker if needed.

Nowadays, it’s pretty much Loctite brand or whatever I can find at a big box chain store. I’ll have to check out the Plastic Bonding System because, even after ~ 40 years, I’ve never found a satisfactory adhesive for polyethylene or some especially rubbery PVC types.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
If you try it OTR please let us know what you think especially on rubber. I bought mine from Home Depot for less than $4.