Toy train photography gallery (post your awesome shots here)

211 Replies, 236618 Views

Sorry if these have been posted before. I took these back in January 2017 but had trouble with my photo host, so I don’t think I was able to post them here.

[Image: 7_EEA4_D95-6_CAB-4_BCD-9_BCF-_C1_F24852_B242.jpg]

[Image: E9_EA8023-_BD6_A-4416-9_E56-7030_F67_FD1_A1.jpg]

Nothing special, just the Plarail D51-200 and C12-50 posed on some TM2 track and sitting on my (in)famous “Funky Fence” where a lot of my outdoor photography is set.
In my fictional, alternate history setting, two D51 Mikados and the C12 serve on the Adeline subdivision of the Denham & Western Railway.
[-] The following 3 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Super
Love me some Steam Locomotives SmileHeart
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Are the boards fixed at a slanted angle on your funky fence?
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017, 11:26 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Yes! It’s kind of retro ‘70s which doesn’t fit well with the mid-to-late ‘20s era of the house and is strange since the original fence was built in the late ‘90s. But it has survived 20 years of severe weather and hurricanes, a tree falling on it and even damage from a pickup truck’s wheel flying in to it! We added two panels and a gate to the carport side two years ago, which why the wood in these shots looks relatively new. It has proven to be a great spot for toy photography during the past decade-plus and has been the background for countless shots.

I still think it’s ugly as heck, though! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2017, 04:48 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Super
Well I like the photos with that as the background, much better than the boring backgrounds I use.....hmmm....wonder if there is a place that sells backgrounds on different size paper or even rolls?....anybody?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Henry leaves the docks with the 'Flying Kipper'.

EDIT:No clue why its suddenly upside down.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Collecting without a clue since 2010
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrizzly's post:
  • Off The Rails
(12-02-2017, 04:51 PM)Super Wrote: Well I like the photos with that as the background, much better than the boring backgrounds I use.....hmmm....wonder if there is a place that sells backgrounds on different size paper or even rolls?....anybody?

I’ve been investigating this myself. I found some vendors on eBay and online selling backdrops that are basically very large format panoramic photos. They’re cool but somewhat expensive and not really what I had in miind. Also, the couple of online retailers I checked had awkward website design that made it difficult to determine what was for sale or when you might get it.

The venerable Walthers Instant Horizons HO model railroad backdrops appear to still be available and I’ve also seen a similar line for use with British OO railroads too. There are also urban building silhouette backdrops sold for themed parties but I haven’t seen any of those in person to determine whether they’d match the size/scale of the trains.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
That fence must have been built in place and not using prebuilt panels right? With the diagonal slats I wouldn't think it would match up where 2 panels met up. I must say I like the looks of that idea and sets it apart from the everyday vertical wood fencing.

Thanks for the tip on the Scenic Backdrops after looking around on Amazon and Ebay I checked some of my favorite vendors and this one, Model Train Stuff, has them for good prices. The Walthers are on Sale now at very low prices. I actually just ordered 2 of the Realistic Background Brand that are a bit smaller, 13" x 38" but I thought that would be just right for photos. I plan on gluing them, one on each side, to a foam core poster board and use it when take a snapshot of a train or piece of scenery. Check them all out here https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Scenic-B...300&page=1
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Off The Rails
(12-02-2017, 10:55 PM)Super Wrote: That fence must have been built in place and not using prebuilt panels right? With the diagonal slats I wouldn't think it would match up where 2 panels met up. I must say I like the looks of that idea and sets it apart from the everyday vertical wood fencing.

Yes, it was originally built in place as a series of free standing panels that didn’t connect or fully enclose the back yard. The carpenters who built the extension and repaired the damage from the truck wheel also added filler pieces between the fence panels to create a safer spot for the kids to play.
Then they got old enough to figure out how to open the front door! Confused
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
The snow was deep on the northern end of the Denham & Western this morning!

[Image: 97181360-_D4_C0-420_E-_A9_A7-_AD1426_A2_EEB2.jpg]

Admittedly, not the greatest shot, since you can tell there are no tracks. However, snow days are exceedingly rare in my part of the US, so I thought I’d better get some shots in while I could.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator