I Love the DE10's & DD51's

20 Replies, 22234 Views

I love the DE10's. Next to the F-Units they are my favorite Diesel. Here you can see the 4 we have and there is only two more we have our eye on. The second picture shows the Dummy DE10's we have.

[Image: 001_zpsfsh8a8d9.jpg]

[Image: 007_zpswyymalak.jpg]

Also love the DD51's and these come in third for our favorite Diesels. Here are our set of four and we only have our eye on a couple more. The second picture here is also the dummy DD51's.

What is so neat about these DE10's and DD51's is that the chassis's are interchangeable so I can swap out the dummy chassis's with any of the motorized bodies to make some neat matching tandems.

[Image: 11_zps8awcs7kr.jpg]

[Image: 013_zpsgztbwpz1.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine, ROKMAN1445
DE 10's could represent GP-7's running long hood forward, a fairbanks morse train master, or an RS-3. Where'd you get the yellow dd51?
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROKMAN1445's post:
  • Super
You are right Rok. Maybe thats why I like them so much, reminds me of the American diesels.
Say, where did you get these? Were they at a reasonable price? I would like to invest in a few and paint one.
  • Super
Except for the red DD51 I got all the rest on the Yahoo Japan Auctions. Which aren't cheap when you figure in the fees and 2x shipping. Some are quite hard to find including the dummy engines. The red DD51 can be bought new from a few Japanese sellers on Ebay and is not that expensive. There are also some available from Japan on the Amazon site although they are pricey.
Oh. Thanks. I will be on the lookout.
  • Super
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the dd51's, not only do they look great but the transmissions in them are super quiet, you can leave one doing a circuit of the room and you don't realise it's still going until you see it chugging along, it's one of my favourites. I'm not sure about American diesels, but they certainly remind me of the 'Janus' class locos that they used to have at my old job

[Image: Yorkshire_Engine_Janus_2787_at_Shelton.jpeg]

I know they aren't a perfect match but (personally) I think they are a great deal closer to the model than a proper dd51!

[Image: JNR_DD51_1027_20071003.jpg]

for a long time I've thought that plarail/trackmasters wheel restrictions (to x2 driven and x2 free) have spoilt the potential of a lot of good models,
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015, 10:28 PM by Tramp.)
(11-09-2015, 10:27 PM)Tramp Wrote: for a long time I've thought that plarail/trackmasters wheel restrictions (to x2 driven and x2 free) have spoilt the potential of a lot of good models,

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the short wheel base creating a stubbier train?
(11-10-2015, 12:16 AM)Super Wrote: Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the short wheel base creating a stubbier train?

Yeah exactly that, they all have the same sort of wheel base, that and almost all of them only have x4 wheels, wouldn't it be great if they had more? More driven wheels and more support wheels, one of my pet hates is the fake 'moulded' plastic wheels, I can understand why they do it - the radius of the curve, But because they all have the same sort of wheelbase I think you End up restricting the body you can put on the chassis. Look at the dd51, the proper loco is really long with 18wheels, we end up with a stubby wide model (which is fine) but it's not overly accurate,
Note to myself and other 'kids': Plarail and Trackmaster is designed to be a toy.

Tongue Tongue Tongue

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • Gerisplarail1