Super's Mod's, Customs, Layout's & Video's 👍

420 Replies, 524815 Views

[Image: tank.gif]   Might As Well!   
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Finno, Off The Rails
I know its slow but having so much enjoyment. Working on scenery, lighting and landscaping. I have to get a better camera.

[Image: 014.jpg]   [Image: 015.jpg]   [Image: 016.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Super's post:
  • Engineer Bob, Finno, Mister No, MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails
That’s looking great Super! I love all the scenic additions that really give it a good mix between toy trains and model railroad layouts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Yes! That is looking awesome!
It looks like you've been really having fun!?I I I I LOVE the tunnel bridge with it actually spanning across deep open space( or is it on the extreme edge of the table?)...very dramatic.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Finno, Super
@Super-
I noticed several rock formations or rocky hills on the layout. Did you construct these yourself or did you buy them? Also, what material did you use for water?
  • Super
Good questions OTR

Bringing the Layout off the floor and onto tables really pronounced how 'flat' it is. I wanted to figure out some way to easily bring different elevations around the landscape to give it more 'definition'. I did look into creating formations myself but I didn't want to spend all the time learning a new craft and the hours of trial and errors it would take to bring cool looking results. So the answer would be... find someone that custom makes pieces themselves and they can be found on Ebay. Look under Tabletop Wargaming Terrain Scenery. I looked for ones made of foam and completely finished. There are some makers that use 3D printed Terrain pieces that you finish yourself but I didn't want to go that route. The artist I bought all the rock formations will even do special orders. I would love for her to make rocky slopes to would fit perfectly under the Tomy sloped rails that would be neat,

If you are referring to the water pond, which I still have to vegitate, it was made with Model Train Scenery Sheets also available on Ebay.
  • Finno, Off The Rails
Thanks for the information, Super! I’m familiar with the techniques for making styrofoam terrain but I had never thought of buying it ready made. I’ll definitely have to look in to that!

The water sheets are another thing I’ve had difficulty finding. It’s less messy than the various liquid compounds or art supply materials like gloss medium or Mod Podge. On the other hand, the clear or blue tinted plastic sheets are sometimes shockingly expensive if you can find them through hobby shops and online retailers. Some, like Plastruct, seem to only be available in relatively small (say 3x5 inch) sheets for those shocking prices!
  • Super
The water sheets I have are just flat sheets, not 3D and are 8.5x11 and come in 5 packs for relatively cheap in my opinion. They have tons of different scenery sheets from water to bricks, stone anything. The sheets are supposed to be seamless to where the patterns match from one sheet to the next. Let me know if you are interested in the sellers. I had just ordered a pack of a darker blue water as I think what I have may be too blue.

Are there sellers out there that sell like a 3 dimensional rubber like water sheets?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
A very cool 1976 Vintage Tomy/Disney Set modeled after the "Its A Small World" Disneyland Park Ride.

The engine is the old friction type and as you can hear in the video, its a bit loud even though its brand new. Couple that with the mechanics of the music box ride also being on the noisy side they almost drown out the song. The unit does not require battery's as it seems to work like a Music Box driven by the wheels of the engine. I love the old Disney/Tomy/Plarail Sets that replicate Disneyland experiences and hope they will continue partnering together to produce these.

• Finno, Off The Rails
Another Vintage Tomy Disney Character Parade Train.

I don't have much information on this set especially what year it was released so if you can help please let me know. This is one of my favorite Disney sets. It is very well built and the motor is quiet so you can hear the digitally played tune.

[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • AOF04, DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins