Tramps Modifications

72 Replies, 107056 Views

I have a 3v Spencer with ultra dash motor, there is a nasty post right in the middle of Spencers tender meaning you can only fit a 2xAAA on its side against the side wall of the tender Sad perhaps another locos tender modified would suit better, anyway yes very good to have a fast A4

This vid shows my Spencer running in the background in his latest form (3v with ultra dash motor)

(05-04-2014, 10:16 PM)Super Wrote: You can have the Spencer I have for just the cost of shipping if you think that is worth it from the USA. I think its cheaper for me to ship to you that for you to ship to me as Royal mail seems to be a bit pricey.

Thank you for the offer, it really is very kind of you, but I think it would be more expensive to post from USA than to buy from the UK, and I would have to pay import tax too!! But thank you anyway

(05-05-2014, 12:24 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: I have a 3v Spencer with ultra dash motor, there is a nasty post right in the middle of Spencers tender meaning you can only fit a 2xAAA on its side against the side wall of the tender Sad perhaps another locos tender modified would suit better, anyway yes very good to have a fast A4

This vid shows my Spencer running in the background in his latest form (3v with ultra dash motor)

Thanks, you've given me some food for thought with spencer, I'll have to have a look and see what I can do space wise (or if I can butcher the tender!) it's great to have a fast A4 it just feels right, like having gorden faster than the other engines! How do you find the ultra dash motor? Is it significantly faster than the hyper dash?
yes much faster but also almost twice as much power consumption making high nimh rechargeables essential.
Tramp here are some pictures of the inside of Spencer and his tender where you can see what Ucwepn is talking about. Couldn't you put a 2x AAA battery holder on the one side of the post and install a single AAA holder on the other side giving you 4.5 volts? One thing you won't have to worry about is adding weight to keep a faster Spencer on the rails as he has quite a lot in front and back of the engine. The pictures also show all the plastic on the inside of the front but it does have the advantage of removing the whole black front with face on it to modify. Looks like you could install dual head lights on the chassis above the bumpers where they show the originals. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

[Image: 002_zps4efa9fa6.jpg]

[Image: 004_zps6cac52dd.jpg]

[Image: 008_zps4f0ca84e.jpg]

[Image: 012_zpsa912ab40.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
(05-06-2014, 03:21 AM)Super Wrote: Tramp here are some pictures of the inside of Spencer

Those pictures remind me of my desk as a kid. I'd pull everything apart but fortunately I could also get it back together... Usually :-)
[quote='Super' pid='777' dateline='1399346517']
Tramp here are some pictures of the inside of Spencer and his tender where you can see what Ucwepn is talking about. Couldn't you put a 2x AAA battery holder on the one side of the post and install a single AAA holder on the other side giving you 4.5 volts? One thing you won't have to worry about is adding weight to keep a faster Spencer on the rails as he has quite a lot in front and back of the engine. The pictures also show all the plastic on the inside of the front but it does have the advantage of removing the whole black front with face on it to modify. Looks like you could install dual head lights on the chassis above the bumpers where they show the originals. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

[Image: 002_zps4efa9fa6.jpg]

The problem with standing the battery pack on the side of the tender is it makes it prone to topple over, this of course can be countered by weighting the bottom of the tender and the other side wall but then it starts to become heavy, also within the loco itself the is an empty cavity now where the battery used to be that needs to be weighted too for traction and to help it stay on track through corners etc.
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm still the winning bidder on the Spencer I'm bidding on, I would like to fit x2 additional AA batteries in the tender, hopefully I can brake into the original circuit and run the 2 additional batteries and the original in series to give me 4.5v ucwepns 4.5v Gordon runs well and hopefully this will be the same.

I've made a start on lighting the x4 coaches I have, I've only managed one so far, but it's a little neater than my previous coach lighting mods,

[Image: 26973609-418F-479B-B094-3A7B66392D7C_zpsrqgwxjv1.jpg]

I put the switch in the end if the body so I don't have to bridge between the body and the base

[Image: D8131F7B-D32E-4B35-8C38-1CE23AD9BE3F_zps1g4l4lcy.jpg]

And switched on

[Image: 8CA543B2-DCE6-4AEF-B2F1-9BC877A4030D_zps0kkmjy6a.jpg]

I only used x2 LEDs, in my SHUA coaches I used x4 LEDs per coach and the 3v cell struggles to power them all. I hope you can see how I've done it OK, and if you have any questions, fire away!
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 03:55 PM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Excellent work Tramp [Image: two-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Well I've been outbid on spencer, not to worry, I'll keep my eyes open and bide my time. So I decided to continue with James's rake of coaches, I've not had long on it today but I've made some looms up for the remaining 3 coaches
[Image: D7C80654-3B93-4054-8A9D-72161729B855_zps8sd8jo32.jpg]
I've almost finished the trailing coach which will have a red led on the back (hence the x2 switches)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I love looking at your wiring jobs Tramp, so neat and organized. Looks good, can't wait for the night shots. [Image: two-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif]