Interesting Ertl Find

9 Replies, 15289 Views

Hello people of BluePlasticTracks!

I was searching around on Trademe (New Zealand equivalent to Ebay) and found five Ertl trains for sale! The start price was $20.00 NZ and $25.00 NZ buy now. They were:

1. Oliver
2. A purple train with the number 6?
3. Percy
4. Thomas
5. A train with the number 16?

The engines seem to be in pretty good condition, with slight scuff-ups and the edges of the stickers are slightly peeling off, but all in all really great condition!
Is it worth getting these five trains, as I have heard these are becoming quite rare, and also who is the 2nd and 5th train? Were they from the railway series?

[Image: Ertl%20Trademe%20find_zpszb0zt1ru.jpg]
the second one is Charlie. As for the fifth one, I have no idea.
I was thinking the second one looked like Culdee

culdee

(12-13-2015, 12:25 AM)ripley802 Wrote: I was thinking the second one looked like Culdee

culdee

But now looking again it does sort of look more like Charlie..
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 12:26 AM by ripley802.)
(12-13-2015, 12:25 AM)ripley802 Wrote: I was thinking the second one looked like Culdee

culdee

But now looking again it does sort of look more like Charlie..

The 5th one looks like Victor to me...especially those eyebrows..
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
The second engine, if he is number six, is Lord Harry, or Patrick as he was later renamed. He works on the Culdee Fell Railway with Culdee. All merchandise refers to him as Lord Harry, and he was only released as a toy in ERTL form in both regular and metallic variations. More information on the Thomas Wikia here.
The last engine, number sixteen, is rather imaginatively named Sixteen. Like Lord Harry, he was only in the Railway Series for a single book and was only produced as a toy for ERTL. More information on the Thomas Wikia here.

The price isn't bad, and aside from missing buffer stickers they all look to be in pretty good shape. If the Google exchange calculator has the correct exchange rate from NZ to US, I think that's a pretty reasonable price.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Ucwepn
Is it also worth going for quite scratched up Ertl Thomas trains, with or without the paper/sticker faces that are quite rare?
I'm not huge into ERTL collecting, but as far as paper faces go I don't know how much I'd be willing to spend on one missing the face. I'd buy a paper face with the face intact and a fair bit of playwear over a faceless one with pristine paint, but that's me personally.

If you're talking rare ERTLs in general, it's probably worth going after worn, and in turn less expensive, models of characters like Jock or Fergus, the ones released right at the end of ERTLs licensing, but it really comes down to price. I'm probably not the best judge of price either, I've been exposed to resale shop prices so much that it pains me to pay more than a dollar for a CD.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuckGWR's post:
  • DalaGStanator
(12-13-2015, 12:00 AM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: the second one is Charlie. As for the fifth one, I have no idea.

Charlie is a newer version of Billy. Billy was from 2007. That could be another engine on the Culdee Fell railway.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
Correct number 2 is Lord Harry and number 5 is "Old number 16"
(12-14-2015, 08:00 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: Correct number 2 is Lord Harry and number 5 is "Old number 16"

Actually, it's just "Sixteen", not "Old number 16".

Also, to all those other users: Charlie? Victor? Those characters didn't even exist back when ERTL made Thomas products.