Phony Tomy track

17 Replies, 19799 Views

We had two spots on the layout that trains kept having problems through...I finally took a closer look and realized they were literally spinning out and stalling when they tried to pass over these fake pieces of non-tony like track!!!
They are marked only with "made in Japan", and their lack of molded traction groves causes stalls, slippage, and complete stoppages...needless to say they have all been removed now...Has anyone else ever come across this counterfeit track??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Play nice & have fun!!Smile
I had noticed that in your video's there was trains having trouble. I have had tracks that did not have the Tomy logo on them but other than that they were identical. Your picture shows quite a difference. Did you have a lot of them?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Yes I've found 4 straight sections already, and think they're all removed now, but I havn't inspected any of the curves yet...they don't provide any traction at all...just horrible>:/
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
ive got a fair amount of that track. havent used it, but bought in bulk lots from thrift stores to get engines and other tomy-style scenery like trees and stations.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
I would not throw that track out if it says made in Japan it could be vintage Tomy track as it has changed through the decades I cannot find it right now but there is a sise by side comparison and I know the really old tracks did not have the grooves just the slightly textured like the track you pictured I'll post more info

(01-01-2016, 06:25 AM)Gerisplarail1 Wrote: I would not throw that track out if it says made in Japan it could be vintage Tomy track as it has changed through the decades I cannot find it right now but there is a sise by side comparison and I know the really old tracks did not have the grooves just the slightly textured like the track you pictured I'll post more info

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/pla...ges/17.jpg
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2016, 06:38 AM by Gerisplarail1.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Gerisplarail1's post:
  • chrisjo, MuddyPoppins, Super, Ucwepn
There's a possibility like Geris said.

[Image: img04.jpg]

[Image: img03.jpg]

EDIT: Darn, a minute too slow! Tongue
[-] The following 5 users Like jdogman's post:
  • anc6802, Gerisplarail1, MuddyPoppins, sunhuntin, Super
Thank you...yes it's the mid-way track!! Hopefully I have some curves too!!
the knock off set from "Southward" has identical set of tracks. The split tracks are easier to identify as the "switch" is white instead of yellow.
(01-01-2016, 11:07 PM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: the knock off set from "Southward" has identical set of tracks. The split tracks are easier to identify as the "switch" is white instead of yellow.

I do not think the Southward tracks would say made in Japan, as vintage Tomy track would because all Plarail at that time was made in Japan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gerisplarail1's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
(01-02-2016, 12:47 AM)Gerisplarail1 Wrote: I do not think the Southward tracks would say made in Japan, as vintage Tomy track would because all Plarail at that time was made in Japan.
correct in fact they don't say anything. If I remember correctly, the knockoff tracks are darker than the traditional tomy tracks.
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, MuddyPoppins