Trackmaster / FP Talking James - problem

6 Replies, 8369 Views

I've just received a Trackmaster / Fisher Price Talking James which doesn't seem to be working. There's an on/off switch on the tender, and a push-button on top of the boiler.

With the switch in the 'off' position, nothing happens if I press the boiler button.

With the switch in the 'on' position, the wheels go round when I press the button, and stop again when I release it. I don't get any talking.

The instructions point at the button and say "press here for phrases".
I don't think the wheels are meant to go round when you do this, I imagine it's 'demo mode'?

Can someone with a working one of these please confirm to me what's meant to happen? How do I make it run without holding the button down? Am I missing something really obvious?
is it sitting flat on a track or table? those talking engines usually wont roll if they are being held in midair. not sure if they have to be sitting on something to talk or not though.

mine i place on a surface, press the button, they say whatever/whistle and then start moving. when lifted up, they make a steam release noise and stop moving.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(01-05-2016, 08:32 PM)sunhuntin Wrote: is it sitting flat on a track or table? those talking engines usually wont roll if they are being held in midair. not sure if they have to be sitting on something to talk or not though.

mine i place on a surface, press the button, they say whatever/whistle and then start moving. when lifted up, they make a steam release noise and stop moving.

It's the same with it in the air or on the tracks. Further investigation has revealed a pressure switch located under the rear axle of the tender which (from what you say) should have an effect when the tender is lifted up or put down. On mine it has no effect either way.
This may help if it is the switch.. I had a similar issue with another loco.

http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...=Diesel+rc

If it is lot making sound at all not could be the speaker or a wire to the speaker I have had that before too.
(01-05-2016, 09:16 PM)ripley802 Wrote: This may help if it is the switch.. I had a similar issue with another loco.

http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...=Diesel+rc

If it is lot making sound at all not could be the speaker or a wire to the speaker I have had that before too.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately shorting out the switch didn't help in my case.

Now that I've got it all stripped down I can see some deposits on the circuit board that might suggest it's had some liquid on it, so it's probably a write-off. A shame because it looks immaculate on the outside. Now I have to decide whether I can be bothered to try and get a refund (it was from Ebay), or whether to just write this one off to experience.
(01-05-2016, 09:48 PM)chrisjo Wrote: Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately shorting out the switch didn't help in my case.

Now that I've got it all stripped down I can see some deposits on the circuit board that might suggest it's had some liquid on it, so it's probably a write-off. A shame because it looks immaculate on the outside. Now I have to decide whether I can be bothered to try and get a refund (it was from Ebay), or whether to just write this one off to experience.

What about holding down the pressure switch while then pressing the button on the engine. If this works then maybe use some electrical tape for the switch?
(01-05-2016, 10:14 PM)ripley802 Wrote: What about holding down the pressure switch while then pressing the button on the engine. If this works then maybe use some electrical tape for the switch?

Thanks, I've tried that, effectively the same as shorting out the switch and pressing the button. Same as before, engine runs as long as I'm pressing the button, stops as soon as I release it.