R-14 cross junction question

3 Replies, 4786 Views

How well do trains go around the very tight radius curves in these points? (As featured on Ucwepn's layout in a slightly 'doctored' form, with a single tram vehicle going round them OK).

[Image: T2xm0dXcpMXXXXXXXX_!!54882088.jpg]
Depends on the train and how long it is I think. With using it as a cross like the one you pictured some trains had no problem using that sharp route where others had slippage and still others the latter cars of a long rake would derail. A while back when I was re-engineering our layout I came upon a tricky spot with very little room for a normal curved piece to fit to connect the rails. I thought of Ucwepns video and modified (pictured below) an R-14 cross similar to his and it fit perfectly. I found it to be hard for some trains to make it through with quite a few derailments but in this layout the modified curve was followed by an incline which may have added to the derailments and slippage. It works perfect with just a single tram, like Ucwepns, and maybe even a tandem tram although I didn't try that.

So to make a long story longer and to answer your question...I believe they work OK but there may be occasions where there is trouble. I know...not very helpful. Undecided

[Image: 002_zps76r8blyc.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(01-07-2016, 08:30 PM)Super Wrote: I know...not very helpful. Undecided
On the contrary, I'd say very helpful; and backing up my suspicion that there could be problems.
I have one of these pieces, i find its mostly ok, but does struggle when we use Express coaches as there is a lot of carriage overhang on the outside of the wheel base, unfortunately the corners just to tight for these long carriages. But trucks seem to be OK as long as your running a reasonable sized rake,