EF210 Momotaro & Shiki Car

8 Replies, 10769 Views

Have you ever wondered about this car/truck/wagon that comes with the EF210-102 loco in the S-26 Momotaro pack?

[Image: shiki_01_zps2g7tdzsm.jpg]

I thought I'd try to find out a bit more about it; this is what I've come up with:

In JR nomenclature it's a Shiki 810, a type of heavy-lift vehicle that's known in the west as a schnabel car. You can read about schnabel cars in general terms here , and here .

There's also a page about the Shiki 800/810 on Japanese Wikipedia, here , but machine-translation of this is not enormously successful. The picture links at the bottom are good though.

Here a couple of videos that I found:

... and there are a whole bunch more of them in this playlist.

Many of these show Shikis being used to move transformers very similar to the Tomy one, but other loads are possible. It would be interesting to make one or two alternative loads to insert between the two ends, which incidentally clip together in authentic fashion to make an 'unloaded' Shiki:

[Image: shiki_02_zps5lqz3poo.jpg]

One thing's for sure, you only need one of these and a caboose/brake/guard's van or two per train. A rake of them is just plain silly!

[Image: shiki_03_zpsxvmvz88h.jpg]
Thanks for the info Chrisjo. We had discussed this briefly once before http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...t=schnabel

Seems that YouTube is having a bit of trouble. I can't even get my channel to properly show.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(01-15-2016, 03:53 PM)Super Wrote: Thanks for the info Chrisjo. We had discussed this briefly once before http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...t=schnabel

Seems that YouTube is having a bit of trouble. I can't even get my channel to properly show.
Darn! I searched here before I knew what they were called, but not after I did! Still, I enjoyed doing the research. Idea
The switcher at around 0:32 in the first video should be made by plarail.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
Transformer? I thought they were nuclear flasks. oh well that's a mystery cleared up for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Penybontshed's post:
  • Super
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Now thats a new one for me, I never heard of a Schnabel Truck before. I thought the loads they carried would be too heavy for a truck to pull let alone roads sturdy enough to carry them. Could this be real in real life?
it will be very difficult for unless the the the steering wheel of the tractor (the rear one) is locked up.  making a 90 degree will be very painful.  This is probably even worse than those people who wants to move their house physically off the foundation.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
And to add to that, this truck would have 4 articulated points to make curves very challenging without rails let alone impossible to back up but maybe thats why there are 2 trucks. Also...what kind of tires would be on this to carry so much weight? Certainly not ones with air. Wonder of we can find pictures or better yet a video on a real life one?