5mm 12 tooth gear mod to 4mm gear

11 Replies, 14154 Views

Fantastic idea Ripley. Although not a gear replacement, I wanted to change the color of the wheels for a train mod I am working on and had to save the original axle because it is one of those type with the spring and washer next to the gear. Thought this to be a great time to try my hand at Ripleys idea of wheel removal. By just using household items from my junk boxes in the workroom below you will see my crude attempt at making my own wheel removal tool. Using an old door strike plate I cut a channel to one screw hole. Then because I don't have a metal punch small enough, I used metal from a heavy duty coat hangar instead. It worked great and because I need both wheels removed from the axle the tool worked perfectly by just flipping the axle over to remove the second wheel. My crude tool is now a permanent member of the trains parts box.

Thanks Ripley...great idea [Image: nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
Excellent Super. Glad to hear it worked out for you. It is amazing something so simple can be so useful. Now if only I could market it and make it into a million dollar idea.. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super