Any Trains with Brushless Motors please ?

5 Replies, 5735 Views

Hi my son has quite bad Asthma so hoping to find some of the Tomica engines or Plarail etc that might have brushless motors please.

Or does anyone know of a brushless motor you can retro fit put in to the various types of train please.

Many Thanks Mark.
What do you mean by brushless?
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
Well I so far am only aware of Tomy, Tomica and Plarail trains with commutator ( brushed) type engines/motors that spark to reverse polarity to turn the motors and create a spark as they do so.

They give off that burney type smell ( ozone ) Best Mark
(03-25-2016, 10:25 PM)TrainTime Wrote: Well I so far am only aware of Tomy, Tomica and Plarail trains with commutator ( brushed) type engines/motors that spark to reverse polarity to turn the motors and create a spark as they do so.

They give off that burney type smell ( ozone ) Best Mark

None of my trains do that, or have any burning smells...

I'm only 13, and have never heard of commutators or anything about reverse polarity or sparking in the motors.
As far as I know, the motors of the locomotives are connected to battery terminals by soldered metal pieces, and the motor turns a gear, which turns a whole bunch of other gears, which further turn the gear fixed onto the back wheels' axle.
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
Yes thats right.

And we would like to buy or upgrade our motors to a brushless type if possible.

Best Mark.
No as the standard motor used in all trains are the 3v hobby motors using brushes, even the uprated motors seem to be the brushed type, probably because they don't require any complicated speed control just an on off switch. The brushless motors I know of wouldn't be a direct fit into these trains as radio controlled grade is much bigger,

*edit*
A quick search on eBay brought this up,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252311798920

It looks the right shape but may have to have the motor shafts cut down,

What worries me is it says brushless but it only has x2 motor tabs, most brushless DC have 3 terminals as they are induction motors with a ESC (electronic speed control) to control how fast they run. The other brushless motors I know of are shaded pole motors, but I don't think they are suitable for your application or run on a DC supply,

Do I can't really suggest much for you, It may be worth buying a motor like the above listed motor to see if it really is brushless?
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2016, 10:55 PM by Tramp.)