New Clones?: Amtrak, Santa Fe, BSNF and NYC MTA.

17 Replies, 15551 Views

So the verdict is that these are not compatible with Tomy? If someone can provide links to reviews I'd appreciate it.

Good to know though as I was considering getting one for my son. Too bad, as he likes his Japanese engines, but would love to have some based on the trains he sees so often here in Chicago.
I wish I could remember which member here had posted about this series. I do remember talking about these quite a lot but I can't seem to find the posts. I am guessing that the posts are within a different titled thread. Can anyone else help out or maybe remember any posts?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
This was driving me crazy but after a couple days of buckling down and thoroughly searching every Forum I am glad to say the elusive thread where we discussed these train sets appeared to me. Thanks goes out to member Jaytrain1 for the nice review with detailed pictures. Check it out.... http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...ity+subway
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • ActionChugger, DalaGStanator
I wonder if those tracks are compatible with the Daiso Petit Train tracks? They look almost exactly the same. http://www.blueplastictracks.com/showthr...0#pid18600
Thanks for the research Super I appreciate it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes eilif's post:
  • Super
Ok, now I know this post would normally go in the 'show us what you bought' section, probably on my Japanese or Daiso threads, but as this thread is trying to highlight how identical these 'clones' are to the Daiso range I thought I'd put it here for those considering the clones and how they can expand it with Daiso products later Smile

Ok, first we have a Tsubane '800' Shinkansen

[Image: DSC_0660.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0661.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0662.jpg]

Then a 923 'Doctor' (don't ask me thats how its referred to Smile) Shinkansen

[Image: DSC_0663.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0664.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0665.jpg]

Now a C11 Steam Loco and Carriages

[Image: DSC_0668.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0667.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0666.jpg]

An E231 Suburban commuter train

[Image: DSC_0669.jpg]

and finally not a 'Partridge in a pear tree' but an E5 'Falcon' Shinkansen

[Image: DSC_0670.jpg]

Anyway as you can see from the above there is a healthy range of Daiso loco's and their scenery/track range is similarly wide, but the best part of all is the cost. Believe it or not each of the above 3 part trains cost me no more than just over £4 each - that is £4 for the 3 parts, not £4 each!! So 5 x 3 car trains for about £20 which is what you can pay for a single 3 car Tomy PlaRail. The track is similarly priced so you can get a good layout very cheaply. The only downside is you have the cost of shipping, but even then the items are so cheap you avoid any customs duty so it all works out still very cheap.

ENJOY!!!! Big Grin
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Thanks Nigels

And are the tracks interchangeable or just the same gauge configuration?
I have to be honest I can't be 100% as I don't physically have one of the clone sets to compare them. But based on the photos the connectors are identical, the markings on the side of the track pieces (the brickwork) is identical and the design of the tracks themselves are identical. Bearing in mind the cars are also 3 car sets with a middle power car, with 4 axles on each car and the switch on the power car in the same place as the Daiso ones I would say there is a 99.9% chance they are both made by the same factory to the same design. Do we know anyone who has actually bought one of the clones? If so if they want to measure the width of the track I can do the same to confirm this Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • chrisjo, Super