Another TnA Toby. And....?

8 Replies, 7241 Views

Ok, so in my defense the lot was only 100¥ to start with and I was hooked... I ended up paying a bit more, maybe too much, but I was drawn to the other item too. I had not seen one like this and although it may be in rough shape, I figured I would take a chance.

So any thought what this one is? What got me interested was the TnA style connector. I was hoping maybe it is something like a Plarail version TnA but do not see any activation thing on the bottom. Maybe it is just one of the Sound/talking Plarails?

[Image: B21B027B-7B05-480F-AFEA-117ED95420DB_zpsq8rreipk.jpg]
[Image: 8BC272C6-0192-4D7E-8227-DAC0C583C46A_zpsqclnk8yz.jpg]

PS: Sorry for the bad red highlight circles.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • DalaGStanator, sunhuntin
I have seen those before but for the life of me I can't remember what they are called to research it. The openings in the front and rear car is where two large figures go.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
i cant confirm what it does, as ive not used mine yet, but i have two. both came in the same lot, and both missing one figure.

the other figure, near as i can tell, was a girl in a red shirt. design wise, they are the same coloring as the figures that came with the magnetic engines, just shorter and wider.

[Image: midway.jpg]

heres a photo saved from somewhere. likely jauce, but was a while ago.

[Image: 53aff9fe1de35.jpg]

edit::: just had a look in my plarail drawer, and neither of them could be found :O not sure where they are and why they arent in the drawer. bit of a mystery.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016, 05:57 AM by sunhuntin.)
[-] The following 3 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • ActionChugger, DalaGStanator, ripley802
They look a bit like the older 'large' Thomas trains that had the open tops for you to put a driver etc... in (from what I've seen in pics, never got any yet). Maybe they are just an old version of PlaRail?!?

Interestingly if you recall the Sega PlaRail I got recently, that had a similar activator on the bottom, what it did on that train was to reverse the direction of travel when flipped...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • ripley802
sega plarail? i must have missed that, sorry.

that one is a bit like those older ones, and the figures are definately similar in design and color.
[Image: fig.jpg]

it may have been an intermediary design between the magnetic and what we know today?
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
There were several sets that had that 300 Series Nozomi.

There is 1993 [My First Set - Figurine Basic Set with 300 Series Nozomi].

There is also another standalone of the train with the figurines called [Playing with Figurines + Nozomi Set]. This one is likely to be around 1996-1998.

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Thank you Plarnold
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(06-15-2016, 07:57 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: sega plarail? i must have missed that, sorry.

Yup, they were one of my Jauce finds a few weeks back, I did post a few pics on my Japanese Auction thread as they are quite interesting. Same axle width as blue tracks so should run ok on them, they are slightly bigger bodies, but very good detail Smile

Cheers, Nigel
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
@Nigels,

Plarail is actually a trademark for the Tomy line of plastic toy trains. Anything else is not Plarail. They all have their names. Therefore, reference to other plastic series should not use the term "plarail" to reduce confusion as the other ones are not manufactured or owned by Tomy.

Here are a few series that can legitimately be called Plarail but not at the same scale as the usual blue tracks:
1. Plarail Advance
2. Capsule Plarail
3. Mini Mini Plarail

-plarnold