Pounding Mountain Set: Not Worth the Money (to me, and DEFINITELY to my Mom)

13 Replies, 14466 Views

(06-22-2016, 04:29 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: if you have risers, you can make a bridge between the top of the mountain and the long down hill slope. ive also seen a video using two of these that were connected somehow.

personally, i have two of these [im a sucker for the boxes and couldnt resist] but am yet to use either in an elaborate layout.

i may dig one out and use it on an upcoming open day at the club. my main gripe is the amount of battery power sucked climbing the grades.

I have seen that video as well it is brilliant to have a suspension bridge connecting the two mountain tops much more realistic than the steep decline.
[-] The following 2 users Like Gerisplarail1's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Ucwepn
(06-22-2016, 08:35 PM)Gerisplarail1 Wrote: I have seen that video as well it is brilliant to have a suspension bridge connecting the two mountain tops much more realistic than the steep decline.

I was thinking a simple few straights and a quarter-straight male-male piece. I want to get two suspension bridges in future and do what DieselD199 did: combine the two into one dual-rail suspension bridge.
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
As a footnote to this discussion, I might add that the 2007 Plarail set popularly known outside Japan as Thomas at Roller Coaster Mountain (with two open trucks, and a castle on the mountain-top), and the 2014 Plarail set known as Thomas at Pounding Mountain (with a log car, and a heli-pad on the mountain-top) both have the identical name on their boxes in Japanese. The text is:

きかんしゃトーマス
どきどきマウンテンセット

The first part, きかんしゃトーマス = Thomas the Tank Engine
The last part, マウンテンセット = Mountain Set

The bit in the middle, どきどき, or doki doki, is a term used in Japanese for the sound of a beating heart, so you can see where 'pounding' came from, it's Thomas' heart pounding as he hurtles down the track from the mountain-top.

This would all have been too much symbolism for us in the west of course, so the Motor Road and Rail version of the 2007 set was dumbed down to Thomas in Roller Coaster Mountain.

[Image: 81n4-WKVmkz-L-SX466.jpg]    [Image: image.png]    [Image: image.png]

[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Thanks Dr Chris

I don't think I knew of the Castle edition before. By the looks of your pictures the Castles are different in the 2 versions as the Road and Rail has a flag flying over and may be a darker gray.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]