categorizing my collection

4 Replies, 6242 Views

how would you [or your kids] categorize the pack exclusive cargo cars that dont fit into any other current theme, such as the gold, fossil and shark van, and the upcoming st patricks day truck?

on my website, i group each theme together to make searching easier [and about to alphabetize everything instead of being roughly chronological], but these trucks that are stand alones have me beat. at present, they are in a category of their own, which irks me as other rolling stock are within other categories.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
you can do one of 2 things.

first! and most important!
let the childs imagination dictate the category.

second, realize the importance as it pertains to you.

sounds simple.
it should be. it is all about the childs interaction with these toys.
always remember...
as adults, what drew us to these toys?
it was the child.

we, as adults, took it to a different level

as adults, we decided what was rare. what was valuable, or what was desirable.

but do tell? what would you do for the child's favorite train or train set?
now i can't tell you what you would do.I'm not you.
but i can tell you what i would do...
anything!

however, on a lighter note, i do try to block these toys around the movies or episodes.
but, again.. the child dictates the favorite movie or episode
does this help?
[-] The following 1 user Likes trevor369's post:
  • sunhuntin
not really, trevor, as these are part of an adults collection, no child involved at all. thanks, though.

i was trying to organise them on my website it a way that made sense, and ended up giving them their own section as "stand alones". i will leave the ones that fit a theme within that theme, and these others can be their own category.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(12-15-2018, 02:36 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: how would you [or your kids] categorize the pack exclusive cargo cars that dont fit into any other current theme, such as the gold, fossil and shark van, and the upcoming st patricks day truck?

I have those first 3 as "Cargo." Between the blind bags and blister packs sections, there's a "Highlight" label with two drop-downs, for engine name and category: select the category "Cargo" and you'll get those. I also have a "Miscellaneous" that encompasses everything there's only one or two of, like the Mining/Dirty Percy and various special editions.

I also separate out what I call "vans" (Annie/Clarabel without faces) and "trucks" (Troublesome Trucks without faces), but I seem to be the only one who does that. Smile

If you come up with something really awesome, I'd love to hear about it! I've just been making it up as I go along....
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 07:26 AM by Super.)
(12-15-2018, 02:36 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: not really, trevor, as these are part of an adults collection, no child involved at all. thanks, though.

i apologize.
you are referring to a specific item.

and i generalized it. 
by applying a theme.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 07:28 AM by Super.)