What did you do to your trains today?

575 Replies, 578093 Views

[Image: 42-E95800-7-ECD-4-D8-C-BFD0-B07251-C5-D8-C3.jpg][Image: B49-C353-C-A12-C-43-BC-971-E-E6-A44-FABB855.jpg]

So, I remembered I still have this one piece of track from one of my very old non Thomas train sets (one of numerous variants of Junior Train). I brought in a Take Along engine to see if it would fit and they're just a millimeter too wide, but it does technically suit their gauge better. The fact I tried it with Thomas (who has six wheels) when it should've been Percy or another four wheeled item might be the real cause. Now, seeing as it's one size down from TrackMaster (like Capsule Plarail), it has given me an ambitious idea I don't recall thinking of until a few days back.

In case I would ever need one of the smaller gauge railways (Skarloey/Culdee Fell/Arlesdale), I would not build or buy the oversized TrackMaster engines. The Take Along ones would look odd and Capsule Plarail track and engines (the ideal option) are off limits for me. Instead, I've thought about moulding this curve and casting it in large quantities along with new parts like straights and points. For the duplicates, I would remove the sleepers and paint the parts light blue to look like Plarail (and the points would also have yellow blades).

[Image: E558-B703-141-D-4-C86-BEBD-150-CBFE3-F060.jpg][Image: E87-D99-D1-A9-E4-4-B0-F-A616-DF017-F4-BFA1-F.jpg]

I also have the wind up engine that came with this track. Next to the Take Along, it happens to be about the height the Skarloey engines would be. When I caught its resemblance to Victor, I removed the cowcatcher and painted the cab roof and smokebox black (though I never used it as him). Once I'd have enough track parts to build a basic layout, I would cast parts of my TA standard gauge engines and "kitbash" the narrow gauge ones from them (bodies and running boards only since their chassis would be more TrackMaster style). Furthermore, I even looked up how clockwork motors work in hopes of being able to power them, albeit with a big difference; The keys would be disguised as the funnels or domes to avoid having intrusive knobs on the sides. In Peter Sam's case, one of his domes might be the key instead due to his new funnel having an odd shape. I'd build Rusty first and do the steam engines if he'd be successful. I'm hoping to build the original six (motorised or not, with or without Duke) as well as the rolling stock for them. #Season4isBack.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super

Messages In This Thread
What did you do to your trains today? - by Ucwepn - 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM
RE: What did you do to your trains today? - by DalaGStanator - 09-07-2020, 12:05 PM