What did you do to your trains today?

575 Replies, 577881 Views

As promised on the previous page, I got round to my next batch of Take Along fix ups. I restored Edward and Toby's "flesh toned" (badly faded) faces and repainted some of their detail, and took an opportunity for another improvement I never had confidence to do.

Before:

[Image: 028.jpg][Image: 030.jpg]

After:

[Image: 029.jpg]

Edward's face was cleaned with a cotton bud dipped in acetone to reveal the original paint. There are still a few tight spots I couldn't get rid of, but I had to be careful so as not to remove the eyes/dissolve the plastic. I didn't care about the eyebrows and teeth since I wanted a more Season 1-5 result, and the current eyebrows were meant to look like Season 2. Having a shade of blue that looks very close to the body, I also repainted his wheel sides to cover up the faded ones (pictured below). Compared to now, the face looked almost "evil" in its previous condition.

[Image: 034.jpg]

Unlike with Edward, the acetone trick didn't seem to work well for Toby. I chose to repaint the face instead, which didn't quite turn out how I thought it would. Some of the paint got onto his planks and bufferbeam and had to be scraped off, and I feel it looks a bit too different compared to other faces. Not 100% fond of it. One of the pupils was redone with black paint on a cotton bud handle, and the bell and lamps were repainted.

[Image: 031.jpg][Image: 033.jpg][Image: 036.jpg]

In addition, I also (finally) repainted Edward, Henry and Gordon's tender sides to match the rest of them. I previously just made them black to avoid having to match the shades, but now it was possible for me. Unlike Edward and Gordon where I instantly found the shade I was looking for, I needed two attempts for Henry. I even tried using the spray paint my custom TOMY Henry has, which turned out too bright and I had to remove it. It makes much more sense than red or black, and I wish I had done it earlier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super

Messages In This Thread
What did you do to your trains today? - by Ucwepn - 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM
RE: What did you do to your trains today? - by DalaGStanator - 04-04-2021, 07:45 PM