Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Latest Threads
So Excited!
Last Post: Super
Today 08:32 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 5
How Many Motorized Road Vehicles Are The...
Today 08:16 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 4528
My Little Layout - By Finno
Today 07:47 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 413
Micro Mini Plakids????
Last Post: Finno
Today 11:24 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 78
Finno's Train Hopping Pix
Last Post: Finno
Today 02:20 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 212
thomas and friends mini series
Last Post: Reivax
Today 12:57 AM
» Replies: 2700
» Views: 1279333
From Minis to Massives
Last Post: Nigels
Today 12:41 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 72
Shinkansen Transformation Robo: Shinkali...
Last Post: Trainfanz
Yesterday 11:25 AM
» Replies: 466
» Views: 61795
Troublesome Tanker Question
Yesterday 10:39 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 949
Rons Plarail Workshop
Last Post: Nigels
Yesterday 09:24 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 447
We all have to start somewhere!
Last Post: Blueberry'S'
05-17-2019 05:33 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 148
British talk n action thomas
Last Post: Blueberry'S'
05-17-2019 05:24 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 138

Ripley's TnA (Talk n Action) Repair Thread
So I figured I would start a general thread to keep some of my TnA repairs, fixes, and general how to in one place. I recently picked up another James, Gordon, and Henry in a large Japan auction lot. They were in quite rough mechical shape but the exterior is not all that bad just dirty.
[Image: FF5_A7636-6471-4_F9_C-_A434-39_D45_FDE39...yl7afe.jpg]

The battery terminals were toast for almost all of the (6) in each of them.
[Image: 49_B129_FA-_AEFD-458_C-_B39_F-1_FED9024_...aup9e1.jpg]

So what I have done so far is to remove all of the terminals that were bad which was all but 2. Cleaned all of the corrosion off with distilled viniger. Completely dissasebled all of them down to just parts so I can clean and inspect all of it. James may have some internal cleaning needed for his gears but they all work and sound great. James and Gordon need gear replacements on the axel.

Here is a look at them all disassembled.
[Image: 852_B5_FDF-_E080-48_D9-_B10_D-2_ACB07_D7...ksp3n6.jpg]

More to come soon..Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like ripley802's post:
  • ItsWAWGaming, Muddy Poppins, ROKMAN1445, grodriguez, bitelet, Mottivvlogs123
Nice!
#RIPTommy
[Image: IMG-20180126-232218494.jpg]
Rest In Piece Friend
Tommy Wilson 2008 - 2018
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsWAWGaming's post:
  • Muddy Poppins
I really admire your dedication to fixing these Talk N Action engines and bringing life to them again. As for my engines I was supposed to send you, they're still packed up in a Priority Mail box ready to go, just saving up a bit of cash first Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes StarSwitcher07's post:
  • ripley802
(02-26-2017, 09:15 AM)StarSwitcher07 Wrote: I really admire your dedication to fixing these Talk N Action engines and bringing life to them again. As for my engines I was supposed to send you, they're still packed up in a Priority Mail box ready to go, just saving up a bit of cash first Big Grin

Thanks StarSwitcher.. yeah it has become a passion to try and get them going, cleaned up, and back on the rails. I seem to be a sucker when I see them in "any" condition on the Japanese sites..Cool just have to get them. I almost had another lot but missed it as there was a buy it now and someone snapped it up.

No worries on the ones you have, I am still glad to take a look and make my best attempt at getting them going.
I don't have proper packaging for my diesel 10 (Talk N' Action) Yet so I gotta wait till I can mail mine.
#RIPTommy
Rest In Piece Friend
Tommy Wilson 2008 - 2018
(02-26-2017, 09:34 AM)ItsWAWGaming Wrote: I don't have proper packaging for my diesel 10 (Talk N' Action) Yet so I gotta wait till I can mail mine.
No problem. Big Grin
Wow Ripley, you'd make a great person to help out in machine shops.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. Now I gotta go find that really hard to find Lionel transformer cord..
I admire the organization of your disassembled, work in progress, case and attention to detail...brilliant. Especially when life gets in the way and it takes a lot longer than expected to get the repairs done. Having such a great way to keep things in order must prove quite the benefit for not misplacing parts. You are definitely the #1 TnA man around here Mr Ripley. Dodgy
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • ripley802, ROKMAN1445
(02-26-2017, 09:52 AM)Super Wrote: I admire the organization of your disassembled, work in progress, case and attention to detail...brilliant. Especially when life gets in the way and it takes a lot longer than expected to get the repairs done. Having such a great way to keep things in order must prove quite the benefit for not misplacing parts. You are definitely the #1 TnA man around here Mr Ripley. Dodgy

Thanks Super. Yeah the case is something new I have been trying to use. Especially when working on 3 at a time. I have lots of spare parts so if I lose a screw here and there then no biggie, but misplace a TnA connector, then almost game over.. haha..
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • ROKMAN1445, Super
I'll update you when I'm ready to mail it.
He is on my holy grail collection shelf ATM.
#RIPTommy
Rest In Piece Friend
Tommy Wilson 2008 - 2018
Received some TnA engines from another member today to repair. I will post some pics and updates on the repairs as I get to them. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • Super, Muddy Poppins
Oh boy, and a chance to try out that fabulous new soldering iron.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
(03-18-2017, 03:37 AM)Super Wrote: Oh boy, and a chance to try out that fabulous new soldering iron.

Yes indeed, new battery terminals needed on these guys..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Well, I couldn't have been more wrong on these repairs being just battery terminals. These so far have been the most challenging for me so far.

There are the following to be repaired:
- TnA Thomas x 3
- TnA Henry.
- TnA Gordon.

I have looked at two of the Thomas's and while they had great battery terminals the member had attempted some repairs. I applaud the attempt but in order to repair I am needing to de-solder all of the wires on the circuit board. I started in on this but am needing to get some more wire which I ordered from Amazon. I got a bit frustrated with them and moved on to Henry. I figured re-doing the battery terminals would not be too bad as I have done several. I got all of the terminals out (see before and after below) and while they were drying after cleaning with white vinegar and water I had a look at the engine. While in the on position the wheels spun so I figured it had a stripped gear. Upon taking it apart I discovered more repair attempts and while not as bad as the Thomas engines I had looked at it was pretty bad. Then I discovered ther was no motor, no gears, and the spring for the activation mechinisim was gone.

Never fear though, a donor TnA British James was in the spare yard. James, Henry, and Gordon all have the same style motor assembly. I removed the wires one at a time from James, soldering to Henry as I went. 2 hours later and Henry (just the engine) is back together and working. Just need to get the battery terminals in and make final connections.

Once Henry is done, on to Gordon. Cool

Here is the before and after of the Battery Terminal a rear after being cleaned up.
[Image: 10_B69787-544_C-41_B7-_AB60-85_F56357445...iy6zoh.jpg]
[Image: 48_DBAF9_E-_D28_B-400_E-_B78_A-7_D11_C85...7fknsb.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • grodriguez
How is that new Soldering Iron Ripley?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • grodriguez