Ripley's TnA (Talk n Action) Repair Thread

93 Replies, 99169 Views

Small update. Boy these things are tough to get a handle on. Cool

So I received the capacitors today (same size ones). I swapped it in and there was sadly no change. Dodgy I got to thinking the only other thing really it could be is the transistor. This had gone bad on another one I had and there was no motor movement at all. I placed an order for some new ones on eBay which is a 600pc lot for $8.25 free shipping and is in the US, so even better. There are NPM which I need and PNP. The ones I needed are NPN 8050, but there is a 2222 that may work too?

I was a bit frustrated so I scavenged a transistor from a TnA Thomas circuit board and swapped it in the James I am testing with, to my surprise it was back to normal speed. WHAT, did I fix it? Well now it has some weird things going on. First the motor is very loud, like you can barely hear the sound now. Second, it is like the switch is no longer controlling the motor. Meaning if the switch on the tender is on and the one in the engine is too, it is working with sound and wheels moving fine. If I switch off the switch on the engine, the sound shuts off like it should but the motor stays on?? What the heck. My though, hopefully, is that this transistor is bad, maybe? Or maybe there is a short? This seemed to be what happened when I had shorted the transistor before with solder when testing.

So until the new transistors arrive, Tramp, or anyone else have anymore thoughts?
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • ActionChugger, Super

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ripley's TnA (Talk n Action) Repair Thread - by ripley802 - 10-04-2017, 11:55 PM