Redesigned Tokyo Disney Resort Monorail Set

5 Replies, 5816 Views

I bought this set for my son at Tokyo Disneyland gift shop. I think it's a new design, with 1xAA and 2xAAA batteries and spring clips underneath, like the latest Tokyo monorail set. So it doesn't wobble as the old Disney monorails.

[Image: IMG-8891.jpg]

Here's a video of it I found on youtube:

I bought the set for 7140 yen (~$66) and got another set of tracks in China for ¥135 (~$20) so I can make some interesting tracks.

[Image: 0-A0-F449-D-0-C11-4-A9-A-AE6-B-01-E4744-F6-F67.jpg]

[Image: 4-C35-E0-AE-5-C3-E-4597-BD98-BDBD356-B75-C7.jpg]

[Image: 51-E58293-0837-494-C-B38-F-29049443-A8-CC.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes hystudio's post:
  • Super
I wasn't aware of the new design. It sure looks like they have addressed the sloppy wobbling that has plagued all the over rail Plarail Monorails up until the most recent release (couple years ago) Limited Edition Tokyo Type 10000 monorail released only at the Plarail Expo that year. As with the Tokyo 10000 this new Disney Monorail has considerably less wobble but it comes with a price. I guess to counteract some of the wobble they beefed up the size of the couplers where they can no longer work on the sloped track for the Monorails. Of course this means nothing to most as the slopes are very hard to come by and when you do see them they are very expensive. I had held out hope that they would once again produce the slopes but with these new over rail releases they probably won't The beefed up couplers prevent any flex so when the Monorail comes to the bend the drive wheel lifts off the top of the rail. Certainly not a deal breaker as the smooth runner looks great. Hmmm...wonder if some parts could be swapped out with my Disney Anniversary Editions to take the wobble out of those? I will have to keep an eye out for a used one of this newer release to test that out.

Thanks for sharing. Is that your Layout Hy?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
That is very cool. Glad to see they are addressing the wobble.

@Super, maybe the shells could be interchanged from the Anniversary edition monorails and the new ones?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Or if the spring loaded guides can be swapped. Certainly worth a try if a donor can be found cheaply. Would still want the modified one to make it up and down slopes.
@Super Yes, My son and I made the layout to tell the story of our trip to Tokyo Disneyland.

The other half of the mat is the trip to Oigawa railway~

[Image: 052-D3-C8-B-2240-44-A1-BAC6-E4-C7-D0902631.jpg]
What a great idea of how to remember your trip and doing it with your son is priceless. I think you need an Oigawa Thomas in that Layout Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin