2 Benkei Releases

8 Replies, 12388 Views

Many know of the Plarail Benkei release from 1998 but did you know there was a second (1st) version? The first version being released in 1972 was much bigger but I assume because it was friction wheel driven with a possible metal motor. The original was available as a boxed 2 piece set (engine + tender) as well as this large set with the strange U-Turn tracks. Check out the side by side pictures showing the 1972 release next to the 1998 release, quite a difference.

[Image: itled.jpg]

[Image: mgtled.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 6 users Like Super's post:
  • , mod thana, MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, ripley802, Tramp
I love this!
Please Super do let us know if you ever come across one while browsing the Japanese auctions please!!Smile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • mod thana, Super
The set or just the original Benkei Muddy?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
(09-06-2017, 11:50 PM)Super Wrote: The set or just the original Benkei Muddy?

Either or...the set is fantastic especially with its extra original coach, but the lesser single engine w/ that gorgeous box would make up for not having its coach. Either way it would be an incredible piece to own!

@Super ...just after I finished typing and sent my reply, I looked at the original Benkei again, and I was struck by what I noticed...
The 1998 re-issue is identical to the specs of the Yoshitsune.
But the 2016 reissue of the Yoshitsune has the identical boiler as the original Benkei!!
With the exception of the 2016's Yoshitsune's curvy silver painted running boards vs. the original Benkei's squared black ones, the '72 Benkei & 2016 Yoshitune are THE SAME?
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 02:49 AM by MuddyPoppins.)
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • mod thana, Tharazero1
(09-07-2017, 02:36 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: Either or...the set is fantastic especially with its extra original coach, but the lesser single engine w/ that gorgeous box would make up for not having its coach. Either way it would be an incredible piece to own!

@Super ...just after I finished typing and sent my reply, I looked at the original Benkei again, and I was struck by what I noticed...
The 1998 re-issue is identical to the specs of the Yoshitsune.
But the 2016 reissue of the Yoshitsune has the identical boiler as the original Benkei!!
With the exception of the 2016's Yoshitsune's curvy silver painted running boards vs. the original Benkei's squared black ones, the '72 Benkei & 2016 Yoshitune are THE SAME?

Watching a few of your videos and found the Yoshitsune video.... the siderods Muddy Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes StarSwitcher07's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
(09-07-2017, 02:57 AM)StarSwitcher07 Wrote: Watching a few of your videos and found the Yoshitsune video.... the siderods Muddy Wink
I just looked too...
Ah yes the siderods!!
Which means they simply redesigned the 2016 cowcatcher.(which is a 3rd separate piece to the original design as well.)
So a 2016 Yoshitune has a 1972 Benkei shell with a reworked lower half without any slots or integral function between the siderods and cowcatcher!?!
No wonder the 2016 Yoshitune looks and feels so dumpy and cheap.:/
After noticing that boiler on the '72 Benkei, I do believe I prefer the 1998 rerelease.

Also, I still have a lingering bad taste in my mouth about that god awful 2016 Yoshitune...by far THE MOST dissapointing train we've ever boughtSad I try to erase it from my memory, but evertytime I see one I just cringe and am sorry to be reminded of it again. It's just soooooo horrible. Worst Plarail release of ALL TIME.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 03:26 AM by MuddyPoppins.)
(09-07-2017, 02:36 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: The 1998 re-issue is identical to the specs of the Yoshitsune.

That was exactly my thoughts when I first saw the 1972 Benkei but discarded the notion when I noticed the differences you have mentioned along a couple others.

You are right about the Benkei & Yoshitsune being the same. In real life the Benkei and Yoshitsune along with 4 others are the same JGR Class 7100 engines made in America for Japan in the 1880's. Each one named after a noted Japanese figure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JGR_Class_7100

Besides the differences you and Star have mentioned the 1972 Benkei doesn't have that out of proportioned middle wheel of the 2016 Yoshitsune which I imagine was maybe more due to the original Benkei having the small friction drive wheels there than a design decision. And the biggest difference, and the one I like the best, is the fact that the 1972 Benkei's wheelbase is moved closer to the front, more in the middle of the engine, than the 2016 Yoshitsune which looks odd with so much engine ahead of the front wheels. Also the cowcatcher on the 1972 Benkei is much lower to the rails which makes it look more realistic than the 2016 Yoshitsune. As far as the side rods go, I prefer the older long ones on any of the Plarail steamers but we all know why they discontinued them.

So in summary, I think they could have used the 1972 Benkei mold exactly and added the great detailed paint like the 2016 Yoshitsune for the perfect combination. Also they would have to get rid of those fake trucks and wheels on the tender of the 2016...what were they thinking...Chuggington?

[Image: s-1600.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, MuddyPoppins
(09-07-2017, 10:23 AM)Super Wrote: As far as the side rods go, I prefer the older long ones on any of the Plarail steamers but we all know why they discontinued them.

No I don't know why the siderods were changed???
Was is a choking incident or something terrible??
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 10:53 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
Because they were to easily pulled out of their front guides and the more times this happens the more bent they become resulting in them pulling out easier and easier. Once out when the motor is turned on they could poke a a young child's eye. I always thought that if there were a bob of plastic at the tip and the rods could only be installed with the drive wheels out and on an angle before the motor is set down then they would stay put or at least be much harder to pull out.

[Image: 004.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ripley802