evolta battery world record train run

31 Replies, 39284 Views

super, if you removed the counter weight, would they still be heavy enough to pull loads uphill?
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
I may buy a couple of these converters to see how I like them thanks!

(06-01-2014, 05:42 PM)Super Wrote: My cases seem to be not as thick as ActionChuggers pictured above so maybe his weighs a bit more. Now that Gerisplarail mentions it I did have some engines do wheelies going up hills using the converter cases because the counter weighing is off. I helped that out by placing weights inside the case but now that I think of it maybe just removing the counter weight in the back of the engine may work.

I notice that the "C" size engines run better with "AA"'s but that may be due to me using the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's. I do notice that performance wise, using real batteries are better than rechargibles. I guess because they are a full 1.5volts rather than the 1.2volt the recharges max out at. Wonder why they aren't maxed out at a full 1.5?
(06-01-2014, 08:28 PM)sunhuntin Wrote: super, if you removed the counter weight, would they still be heavy enough to pull loads uphill?

I haven't tried it yet Sunhuntin but I don't see why not. The ones that have the rear weights I think are just there to balance the weight from the C Cell so removing it shouldn't be any different than an engine that uses a AA with no counter weigh like the Shinkansens but I am only guessing. In fact, now that I hear myself say that, I have had to add counter weights to the FRONT of a couple of Shinkanses because the nose was too light.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(06-01-2014, 08:49 PM)Super Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 08:28 PM)sunhuntin Wrote: super, if you removed the counter weight, would they still be heavy enough to pull loads uphill?

I haven't tried it yet Sunhuntin but I don't see why not. The ones that have the rear weights I think are just there to balance the weight from the C Cell so removing it shouldn't be any different than an engine that uses a AA with no counter weigh like the Shinkansens but I am only guessing. In fact, now that I hear myself say that, I have had to add counter weights to the FRONT of a couple of Shinkanses because the nose was too light.

Sunhuntin,

To answer your question, it simply depends on the engine; engines like Edward, Henry, Gordon, and James(running on C-Cell batteries in their tenders) have additional weights to give the drive wheels traction as the fronts can "rear" up like a horse climbing hills or struggling to move a train. Tank engines like Thomas, Percy, Rosie, Stanley, Bill, and Ben only have additional weights to counteract the weight of the motor; I have removed the weights simply for the sake of lightening the strain on the motor, increasing their speed slightly and their pulling strength. Rarely have they gone wrong. Engines like Murdoch, Emily, Molly, Harvey, Hank, and Mighty Mac, who have their tender, or coach, holding the motor, I add weights to the locomotive as I shorten the large gap from the tender to the locomotive for a sake of realism; with such a light engine, and a shortened coupling, the locomotive often derails going around tight radii, up any sort of incline, or coming down one. The heavier the engine at the front, the more power the motor has and the less likely it is to come across a derailment when it is at work.

It's simply personal preference in regards to removing/adding these weights, but if you plan to modify the couplings of tender engines with a light locomotive, I recommend adding weights to the locomotive to prevent derailments; although it makes the motor sound like it is working harder, it is simply doing the same work if you were to give it a long or heavy train.

Hope this helps.
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HankAmericanEngine's post:
  • Super
I have allot of battery experience and my all time alkaline battery king is Duracell ultra followed closely by energizer advanced, I have found eveready gold and the aldi ultracell batteries to be acceptable but not as long lasting as the first 2 brands I mentioned. I have also tried eveready lithium and I think they are a waste of money and not much better than duracell ultra. With C size in the tender battery types I have a AA to C adapter I use (its like a C size shell you slide a AA into) and they perform much better not having to haul a heavy C size around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Super
Short video on the World record. Looks like the train could keep going. Not too exciting for the spectators LOL.

Don't know how much stock you can put into this comparison video as it may be partial since Evolta did the test but they show head to head competition of a Panasonic Evolta and Energizer Advance batteries running in a Tomy/Plarail train.

One day... we will have that much train tracks! LOL

I want to see their layout plan on paper Smile
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014, 09:28 PM by ActionChugger.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes ActionChugger's post:
  • Super
(06-06-2014, 09:26 PM)ActionChugger Wrote: One day... we will have that much train tracks! LOL

I want to see their layout plan on paper Smile
[Image: crazy-lol.gif]
http://instagram.com/p/pCnDYGst7M/

Our very mini version of the Evolta Challenge Smile
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ActionChugger's post:
  • Super
(06-09-2014, 10:58 PM)ActionChugger Wrote: http://instagram.com/p/pCnDYGst7M/
Our very mini version of the Evolta Challenge Smile
And I see the big fella in the middle must be the Official making sure the World Record is legit! Evan looks like he really enjoys the setups you do. You are a good Dad, does he give you a hand in the construction process?