My Polly 5 loco newly painted and running

19 Replies, 23983 Views

(06-04-2014, 12:25 AM)Super Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 06:50 PM)Penybontshed Wrote: Looks much better now doesn't she!!
Oh yes...she is a beauty! [Image: happy-clap.gif]

Is that an original factory color?

Not really as the Polly 5 is not prototypical but freelance. I didn't want gloss black as it shows every smear and this is proving very friendly to my preferred wipe of an rag with WD40 on it.
I have the up most respect for enthusiasts like you Penybontshed. So willing to donate your time and money to share your passion with others, especially the children. For children everywhere and adults like us who are still children at heart, I thank you.
[Image: boy-thank-you-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: SN853555_zps2a9c8e5f.jpg]

Here's a better photo of my loco.
[-] The following 2 users Like Penybontshed's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super
Thank you for the picture Penybontshed. Now we can see all the details and what a beauty she is. You should be pretty proud of her.

This may be a stupid question but what fires the boiler. What type of fuel? And are the water tanks completely separate or are they connected together and the water draws down evenly?
Yeah, really nice, I'd love to own a large scale live steam engine, keep up the good work!
That is a serious bit of gear!
Serious, but real fun!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Penybontshed's post:
  • Ucwepn
WOW! nice locoSmile
(06-25-2014, 11:56 AM)Super Wrote: Thank you for the picture Penybontshed. Now we can see all the details and what a beauty she is. You should be pretty proud of her.

This may be a stupid question but what fires the boiler. What type of fuel? And are the water tanks completely separate or are they connected together and the water draws down evenly?

She runs on anthracite and occasionally I put some welsh steam coal in. The two tanks are linked by a balance pipe, but essentially you can add water by injector, axle pump and hand pump. You will not get a boiler cert with out two means of adding water.
I didn't even realize that you would have to have the boiler certified for those trains but it makes sense. Is the fire box very big and Is the anthracite expensive or hard to get? Thanks for the information for this curious fellow.