axle repair advice

11 Replies, 7716 Views

first off apologies if this isn't the right thread/forum. please let me know and I will move and/or post future questions to the group in the correct location.

First off let me say that I love this group. I got really into the Pla-rail system about 1.5 years ago when my son was 3.5 and he just wasn't old enough to not destroy everything. Now he's five and its a good old time. I am learning that I never though myself handy but dammit if I don't love taking these things apart, figuring out why its not working or why its so loud and fixing it and putting it back together. Of course we have a second 2.75 year old that destroys everything, just means I get to do more fixing!

Here is my question. I have some of these older trains. I get most of mine from ebay lots, craigs list lots or consignment sales. We have only bought a few new trains. I have some that 'slip' for lack of a better word; they run all herky jerky. at first I thought it was maybe a bent axle or something. Now I think it is the gear on the axle that engages the gearbox. on some of the trains it appears to have loosened. Before I ran off and started super-gluing the gear back to the axle, I thought I would ping the experts to get your confirmation. First, is my assessment correct (that the gear needs to be firmly on the axle, that the slipping isn't some intended feature)? and second, is superglue the best method?
Thanks,
BTW, SUPER, my son and I have really enjoyed your videos and mods.
Kevin

[Image: IMG_7773.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7774.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7775.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7776.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like kmott's post:
  • Mottivvlogs123, Super
Thank you Kevin

I agree, at first these trains seemed to be overwhelming when taking them apart but soon we learn that they are really a simple machine. Its getting extra parts that sometimes is the dilemma. Are you sure the gear is not split which is mostly always the case.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Dunno, ill check that... thanks for the heads up. Im guessing thats what your referring to re: getting parts?
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 10:18 PM by Super.)
buy some dead engines and harvest the parts from them.
If you want it up and running ASAP while you wait for parts, get a 'third hand' sort of modelling rig and use poly cement on the crack. Leave it overnight and then refit it to the engine. With a little luck it will hold out until the replacement parts arrive.
Collecting without a clue since 2010
Yeah, you're right Super, they're split. I tried to 'harvest' from a dead train but when I tried to get that gear off the axle it split... oops. I guess the best approach is to get the gear/axle combo and then swap out the wheels?
You can pick up gears from some Sellers on Ebay. Have you checked out these Threads...

https://www.blueplastictracks.com/showth...p?tid=2882

https://www.blueplastictracks.com/showth...hp?tid=866
Ok, new but related question. I have a rear axle/gear combo that works perfectly in place of the original with the split gear. Is is better to try to remove the gear and try to put the gear on the existing axle with the correct color wheels, or put the correct color wheels on the existing axle and dont mess with the axle/gear make up.
Did that make any sense?
You're going to have to remove at least one wheel from the axle whichever way you go.  I'd swap the wheels onto the good axle/gear.
Chrisjo makes a lot of sense.