Illinois Central 1036

7 Replies, 8190 Views

Here’s something I haven’t seen in quite a while. This is an EMD SD70 in Illinois Central colors. Since the IC was acquired by Canadian National in 1998 and this locomotive was built in early 1999, it might be in the original “as delivered” color scheme. Some sources say it’s in a retro Heritage scheme. Who knows? Anyway it was neat to see this again since IC was a common sight in my boyhood and young-ish adulthood.

[Image: 26618255-_A690-46_A7-_A4_F8-06_CDA0678_E8_F.png]

[Image: F3_BB4_F86-2339-4_CA0-95_CA-_D333_F459076_B.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Nigels, Super
Very cool but whats up with road?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(05-26-2018, 08:28 PM)Super Wrote: Very cool but whats up with road?

Several years ago, the city allowed CN to close a few crossings. They recently put in a foot path, which is the space you see between the barriers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
I thought that might be the case but your first picture looks to be taken from inside your car.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Oh yeah, I took the photos while in my car!Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2018, 12:34 PM by Super.)
  • Super
just out of interest, are those big diesel engines in the trains do you know? and are they used in other transport like boats? just wondering....
[-] The following 2 users Like bollard's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Yes, these use an EMD 16 cylinder 710 series diesel. I think this particular locomotive uses an AC alternator to power the electrical motors and other electric systems. However, the traction motors themselves are DC. Later, they switched to AC traction motors, which, along with the wide Safety Cabs, resulted in the SD70MAC.

The 710 is also sold for use in marine and stationary applications (backup generators and such). However, General Motors sold EMD to Caterpillar some years ago, so Cat sells an engine of their own design for these applications.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2018, 09:39 AM by Super.)
  • Super
thanks - phenomenal trains you have there in north america.
[-] The following 2 users Like bollard's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super