My Little Layout - By Finno

86 Replies, 64960 Views

Anxious to see what ideas you have for a new Layout.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
I have some items being shipped that I am really excited about and they have a big influence. Also thinking about making some custom scenery.

They packages are on the slow boat from OS so I might make an interim layout while I wait.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
I love the idea of custom scenery Smile
So I made a quick little layout while I wait patiently for my purchases to arrive. It has an element of both city and country with some yet to be completed props. Let's call it Interim Town.  Big Grin

The city
[Image: city-country004.jpg]

[Image: city-country003.jpg]

...and the country

[Image: city-country001.jpg]

[Image: city-country002.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Finno's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Looks good Finno. I especially like the custom made high rise buildings. Must have taken hours to create. Nice idea to have Town and Country.
High rises still need painting - just kind of temporary for now...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
While I still wait for my VSD's to arrive (Very Special Deliveries), work continues on my City-Country layout. 

Time to paint my styrofoam packing blocks and turn them into city buildings.

[Image: city-country005.jpg]

Went for stone grey for the buildings.

[Image: city-country006.jpg]

I cut out some pieces on the left hand building (below) so the trains will run through this one. The middle building is a bit of a strange shape so I'm putting some windows on  the front and sides and an air conditioning unit on the roof to make it more like a modern office building.

[Image: city-country007.jpg]

While that paint dries I went back to the tracks and put some grey mat down in the city area because I figure you don't have grass growing in the middle of the city. It's a roll of drawer liner I picked up for a few bucks in a homeware store.

[Image: city-country008.jpg]

Next I spent quite a bit of time searching, downloading and editing a bunch of Japanese logos and signs to use on the city buildings. Because this city is set in a fictionalised Japan I went for a lot of Japanese brands and train signs with a sprinkling of other stuff that caught my eye.

[Image: city-country009.jpg]

[Image: city-country010.jpg]

Once I got the dimensions right I printed them on high quality gloss paper and cut them all to size. A lot of them will be made into billboards so I cut and glued them on to cardboard so they will be rigid when attached to the side and roof of the buildings.

[Image: city-country011.jpg]

This part is fun but quite time consuming. If anyone wants the signs I have them laid out correctly to scale in a Microsoft Publisher file. Otherwise I can send you the image files.

More soon when the buildings go up!
[-] The following 4 users Like Finno's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, Super
Fantastic Finno, you have a great imagination and I love to see homemade one of a kind customs. Excellent work.
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Finno, MuddyPoppins
Wow - took ages to do all the signs but finally put them on. Not 100% happy with the big building so might make some tweaks but generally happy to have 3 DIY city buildings made from scraps.

[Image: IMG-20190605-185725.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190605-185730.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190605-185742.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190605-185753.jpg]

[-] The following 3 users Like Finno's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, Super
That looks pretty cool. Great job Finno..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Finno