Tomy Express

23 Replies, 13481 Views

Got this cool fellow in the mail today. I don't know much about it but I just liked the look of him.

He's in pretty good condition.

[Image: IMG-20190403-190743.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
Very nice Finno, I don't think I have seen this Super Hikari with the words "Tomy Express" on it, wish I knew more. The Plarail/Tomy versions were released between 1990 and 1997 I think. There was also a remote controlled version that I believe Mr Ripley has.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
The copyright on the bottom says 1988 if that's anything to go by. At least I know it's called Super Hikari now - thanks Super! Wink
Yes, mine also says 1988
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Super is correct, here is a post of the one I have although I need to fix this thread as the images are still messed up. :-(

https://www.blueplastictracks.com/showth...per+Hikari
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Finno
Well I found this set which has the train but it also doesn't appear to have the words 'Tomy Express' either. Is yours from this set?

[Image: Tomy-Express.jpg]

By the way the other train on this box cover looks awesome too.
  • Super
Wow, I have never seen that set before. What language might that be.

Here is my Super Hikari and the Shinkansen 100 Series (I think) is the other train.

To clarify I didn't 'find' the set but I found the picture... haha

It's German for sure.

At first I thought those videos were yours. Did you get yours new in the box? That would be amazing.

That Shinkansen 100 is really nice. The Hikari I just got is in very good condition. There were some very minor carpet fibres in the wheels so I know it's been used but when I popped the hood it looked like there had never been a battery in it. It has that same white tape in the battery holder as in the video too. I gave it a run and it goes great on normal and Hi speed.

it's pretty much identical except for the Tomy Express stencil.
  • Super
I can't remember if mine was new in box when I got it but at any rate I don't have the box now. I love it as it has that Space Age look.
Not to bump an old thread for the umteenth time, but it appears some of the German sets do have the "Tomy Express" version of this engine
[Image: TOMY-EXPRESS-Set-03-Kinder-Eisenbahn-Bah...-Zug-1.jpg]

Interestingly, it uses the old dark blue TomyTrains track, and several trains have Tomy Express added.
[Image: 5c49bf4942b6d60b66dedaaa.jpg]
Some of these parts are not Plarail. I like that the station is labeled main/central station on the platform.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 3 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • chrisjo, Super, Tharazero1