A Great Custom Station

12 Replies, 13257 Views

I wish I had the talent and know how to do things like this station with moving gates.

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Off The Rails
That is highly customised though as is the train I would say as it decelerates and accelerates rather than just stopping and starting.
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Yes, that commuter train is another example of this Customizers talents. It looks like the middle coach has the drive wheels (which I don't think I have seen in a regular Plarail) it may have a motor in it but I don't see what type of battery power it is using. The Station shows it is using something called a Li-Po Battery which looks very compact and slim.
It could be the train is converted to use 'Motor-Man' doesn't that provide acceleration/deceleration simulation on trains with the chips fitted? On those you also need somewhere to put the RC batteries as I recall, although I've never dabbled with it myself.

As for a Li-Po battery, these are typically used in small drones and model planes where you need a very small/light but relatively high capacity battery. They are readily available and are basically a rechargeable lithium polymer battery cell. I think you do need some special sort of charger though to make suere you don't overload them.

The thing that caught my eye was the 'MP3 player' module. I don't know if he has taken this from a commercial MP3 player (which can be bought very cheaply these days) or if it is just an off the shelf chip/module you can buy. It is probably that which requires the Li-Po battery as they are usually higher than 1.5v I believe.

Think I need to do a bit of research to confirm all this Smile
  • Super
Wonder how many volts that Li-Po is as it would need to run the MP3 player and the Servo for the door operations.

I think the Mr Motor Man uses 'C' Sized battery's and looking through the trains windows I don't see any.

He does have another video with train showing a Pantograph modded to it where you can see inside the windows a bit better. It also has traction wheels on the rear coach.

Maybe the train runs on re-chargeable Li-Po's as well? They are available in all sorts of voltages, I've seen them up to 11.1v (yes weird value I know). If he was using those in the train they would be easily hidden and could be re-charged in place.

Incidentally I had a quick look on ALIExpress and you can get those type of MP3 modules for the massive price of $1.18 each with $0.80 shipping lol! Alternatively Amazon (UK) so I presume USA as well has them for around £4-5 each, but of course probably available a lot quicker. Those little modules run on 5v, have a built in USB socket, MicroSD slot, 2w amplifier and some on-board buttons for things like next track, etc... Quite cool. There was also another I noticed which didn't have all the above, but is controllable by bluetooth as well as a further type intended for mounting in a car which seems to work from remote control - this latter one may be what the guy used on his station.

Amazing what is out there if you know to go looking for it...
  • Super
So with a MP3 one could record anything they wanted for the train?
Yes, totally Super, according to the notes for the modules you can put files onto either a TF (aka MicroSD) card, a USB stick or even send them over Bluetooth. When you turn on the MP3 player it then plays the files in the order it reads them, much like any other MP3 player. Of course there are also controls to move to next track, fast forwards, etc...

So you could put the hubbub of noise in a train station on a file and just play that on loop inside a train station (knapford station anyone?!?). Or I suppose if you got clever and used a switch under a track you could activate a player when a train pulls into the station. That could be an announcer saying "the arriving train at platform xx is the 4.30 to blah, calling at...." all you'd need to do is pay a visit to your local train station and record various announcements. If you then put a lot of blank sound at the end of the track you could have a different announcement and have a switch activate the next track as the next train arrives or something Big Grin
  • Super
Or we could add BluePlasticTracks announcements like... "Ucwepn Arriving on track 29!"  or............ ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Wow - that's totally cool and at the same time I wish I never saw it... it will haunt me until I make this!

The small LiPo's are really common in those little indoor drones. I have a bunch of them I bought online for a few bucks. The servo motor would be out of a small RC device (eg. small rc car to drive the steering). The MP3 chip and IR reciever is pretty standard but the controller might require some programming so not sure how exactly that would work.

I'm mostly impressed he got small enough parts to fit it all into the base of the station. And a servo that can line up with the door mechanism. Clever guy.

Totally jealous of the speed (voltage?) controller on the train.

OMG - I just watched his other video where he puts the LED lights into the front and rear cars of the train. I'm thinking it's probably fiddly but not too difficult.

Then I see he puts white headlights and red tail lights on both ends so he can actually stop the train put it in reverse and the lights switch to white at the front and red at the rear depending on which direction it's travelling. Attention to detail is staggering.

Also explains why the middle car has the drive wheels I guess.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 05:20 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super