MrMotorMan

28 Replies, 25403 Views

Anyone tried one of these? I'm interested to know how they work in practice. In theory it looks like a cool idea.

[Image: Mr-Motor-Man-001.jpg]

[Image: Mr-Motor-Man-002.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Finno's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Mine works great once you figure out the controls. It can only be used on engines that take 'C' size batteries. There are a few YouTube videos that show how it works and we have discussed it here in the Forums too.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I wish! These were getting harder to find just as I was really getting in to the hobby. They later did a version with a rechargeable battery/receiver unit that could be used in AA powered trains.
OTR...Had you used the ones for the AA? I had thought that the square case wouldn't fit well in regular Plarails but fit in the Advance engines, but of course I could be wrong.
In this later version you can also use this support vehicle to push the engine so I guess it wouldn't matter about the batteries.

[Image: 10140427a2.jpg]

[Image: 10140427p.jpg]
This thing has been known and mentioned here for some years now. Despite being a third party product (made by Brave), it works perfectly with Plarail, TrackMaster 1 and even other brands of trains. I recall wondering if it also worked with the Chuggington Motorised (not Plarail) range since I have three of them and they use C batteries.

Ucwepn (our founder) made a review of it and showed it being used on some C battery engines (and later used it in several reviews of compatible trains).

It's "Really Useful" for things like filming or public layouts, or for trains that don't have RC versions (which are easier to control but not quite as good). Also, since it uses radio control instead of infrared, the receivers can be hidden in the trains without deformation or glaring red parts. It also makes outdoor control more feasible.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Finno, Super
@Da-lag
Thank you for the Links

@Finno
Yes, there is that one but personally I don't like anything that 'pushes' any trains along as I find them cumbersome add to that, this design just doesn't look good. Yes, thats right...not fond of Emily, Mighty Mac, Hank (original), Molly, Murdoch or the C-57's. Now if they had modeled this unit after something to disguise it like a coach or brakevan it may be more presentable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
(05-24-2019, 01:07 PM)Off The Rails Wrote: I wish! These were getting harder to find just as I was really getting in to the hobby. They later did a version with a rechargeable battery/receiver unit that could be used in AA powered trains.
Hobby Search used to have them.  One controller can control up to 5 trains I believe as long as you have 5 receivers. As super mentioned the original version can only be used for motors that use "C" battery.  Mr motorman kit comes with one receiver.  You insert a "AA" battery into the receiver.
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Finno
It looks really fun. Thanks for the links Da-lag.

@Super - Do you notice any wear and tear to the motor using this? I wonder if it's bad for them to run in reverse or to have too much stop/start?

@OTR - there seem to be quite a lot on ebay at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the trains.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno