LEGO Hidden Side Sets

16 Replies, 13408 Views

So have you guys/gals heard of the new Lego 'Hidden Side Sets' that are immently to be released?  I'm usually on the pulse but these seem to have slipped by me as its the first I've heard of them.

Fundamentally you get a fairly normal Lego set, but it then ties into an AR (that Augmented Reality as opposed to VR - Virtual Relaity) app for your phone or tablet that allows the kids (I mean adults would never play with these things right? Angel ) to point the device at the built model and it will then be brought to life on the app and allow the kids to interact with the AR version of the Lego model.  I guess this is a sort of spin-off/enhancement of the screens found in the lego stores that allow you to show it one of the product boxes off the shelf to be presented with a video about the product/set.

Anyway I should be immenently reviewing this set; LEGO Hidden Side 70424 Ghost Train Express Construction Set so I'll let you know what I think of it when I receive it!  Big Grin
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Technology...what will they come up with next? Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Now if I knew that I could probably make a fortune by taking out some patents Smile

Can't wait to get my hands on this though as it looks like quite a nice little train! May have to see about adding motors etc... to it...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Is it hard putting motors in Lego trains? do you have to rework and get special blocks for the inside and wheels?
back in the 90s all you need to do is to swap the truck from dummy truck to electrical truck.  Things may have change since the 90s.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019, 12:22 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
Where would batteries go?
the trains in the 90s don't use batteries.  They use 9V transformer.  I found the following information on Wikipedia.

"1991 saw again a major overhaul in the train line. Tracks gained a new appearance with power being transmitted directly through metal strips on the two running rails. The new line abandoned the 12-volt power in favor of the 9-volt system to make it compatible with the battery-operated elements found in the Lego 'Light & Sound' line of sets. The remote-controlled accessories from the 12-volt system were also abandoned, with only manual point control available and no signaling capabilities. At the same time, the 9-volt train motor was made train-specific by its fixed wheels, while the similarly sized 9-volt universal motor changed from individual metal axles wheel holes to axle holes for Technic axles, for which there were no train wheels available.
Previous 12-volt locomotives were not compatible with the new system without modification, due to the change in voltage and means of powering the motor, although it was possible to retrofit them with 9-volt motors. The gauge did not change, therefore older rolling stock could still be used.
The continuing availability of the train system was thrown into doubt in 2006, with the release of the first 'remote control' train sets, which used battery-powered motors and did not have metal conducting strips in the tracks. For about a year, both systems were available, with the 9-volt system being marketed under a "Hobby Train" brand, available direct from Lego. By the end of 2007, the 9-volt system had been discontinued."

I attached a photo of what a motor truck looks like. 

[Image: IMG-1916-Lego9v-Motor.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019, 01:20 AM by Super.)
  • Super
Oh, I thought Lego trains used plastic tracks not metal.
back in the 90s the rails portion are made out of the metal.  The rest of the tracks are made out of plastic.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2019, 02:11 AM by Super.)
  • Super
I didn't know that.